Late equaliser rescues point for Wulfs

Midland Football League Premier Division
Saturday 3rd October 2020
AFC Wulfrunians 1 Tividale 1


The Wulfs left it late to grab a well deserved point from a penalty after a game that was severely hampered by the dreadful conditions.


Both sides came out onto the pitch looking to extend their impressive recent form, but it was AFC who dominated early on, having a host of decent chances, the best of which fell to Mat Johnson, whose header was saved by Adam Harrison in the Tividale goal. The Wulfs continued their search for the opener during the early exchanges, regularly attempting to capitalise on sloppy play from the visitors early on, however the breakthrough seemed to elude the home side.


Dominic Dell hit straight at the keeper after being put through on goal on the 15th minute mark, which was probably the best chance of the half. Harrison was very impressive throughout, in the heavy rain which often cause havoc for keepers. AFC’s flow in the game was disrupted through an injury to Tividale midfielder Ryan Grosvenor midway through the half, as the game was poised waiting for someone to snatch the initiative.


Towards the end of the half Jack Downing was involved in a succession of half chances for the hosts as they looked to catch Tividale out on the break, but there looked to be no way past Harrison as both sides entered the interval at a stalemate, with rain continuing to lash down over the CKW stadium.


HALF TIME: AFC Wulfrunians 0-0 Tividale


The second half started similarly to how the first half ended, with lots of endeavour from both sides but just lacking that cutting edge going forward.


Chances for both sides started coming around the hour mark, with Tom Poole going close for AFC forcing a good save from Harrison. Tividale were also starting to work the goalkeeper, especially from set pieces, with Dan Smith nearly heading home from a wide free kick, only to see his effort thwarted by Tom Hayward. It appeared as if the opening goal was coming.


Finally, the breakthrough came on the 67th minute mark, however it was the visitors who got it. Luke Carter dispatched from 12 yards after a penalty was given for a clumsy challenge on Dan Smith in the box. Carter sent Hayward the wrong way to give Tividale the lead with just a quarter of the match remaining.


AFC looked for an immediate response but once again Tividale came forward, with Elliot Hartley’s shot expertly kept out of the Wulfs goal. Manager Darren Goodall looked to change things around by making 3 substitutions, with Ketaga, Jackson and Bishop all sent on with the task of finding an equaliser.


Into the last ten minutes and AFC were looking for that one golden opportunity to equalise, and they thought they’d found it when Aaron Bishop was played in one on one with the keeper, but the substitute blazed over from the edge of the box. There was frustration all around the ground as such a great chance to equalise was squandered.


However, the pressure only built on the Tividale goal, with captain Ben Jevons having a few attempts from the edge of the box as the clock ticked towards full time. It looked as if the visitors were going to hold on for the three points to claim their fourth win on the bounce. But, deep into injury time Adam Meacham was brought down inside the box by a Tividale defender. All eyes were on the ref and he pointed to the spot. AFC had one last chance to claim a point. Jack Downing stepped up for the hosts and smashed it underneath Harrison in the Tividale goal to claim the Wulfs a deserved point.


The devastation for the away side was clear to see after holding out for so long, but overall it was a fair result on the balance of play. Both sides continue their impressive unbeaten runs in the league, as the points are shared leaving AFC in 11th and Tividale in 8th.


FINAL SCORE: AFC Wulfrunians 1-1 Tividale


Attendance – 163


Next Saturday the Wulfs travel to the Butts Park arena to face Coventry United before returning to the CKW stadium on the 7th November to face struggling Selston.


The healthy attendance at the CKW today was great to see. Your support is very much appreciated, we hope to see you again very soon.