Wednesfield 2 AFCW 3

A last minute penalty from Jake Sedgemore completed a memorable comeback and earned all three points for AFC Wulfrunians after they had trailed local rivals Wednesfield 2-0 at the break. Sedgemore and James Skedgel had started the comeback after Josh Carvel and Sam Giles had given the home side a deserved lead at the interval.


It was Wulfs who made the early running but found home ‘keeper Sam Arnold in commanding form in the early stages. It was Wednesfield, however, who had the first sight of goal when Giles put Carvel clean through but ‘keeper Danny Tipton stood up well to block his effort.


The warning wasn’t heeded as the home side took the lead in the 12th minute. A long ball over the top was only half stopped by Skedgel and Carvel ran on to burst through a challenge with Tipton and roll in to the empty net.


Wulfs hit back with Kyle Brady diverting a near post corner into the side netting and David Howells firing over from the edge of the area before they went closer still in the 29th minute when Sedgemore’s free kick was tipped on to the underside of the bar and Brady fired the rebound straight at Arnold from close range.


Things then got worse for Wulfs as Wednesfield doubled their advantage two minutes before the interval with a superbly crafted goal. Steve Dougliss played a neat first-time ball out to Wayne Price and his far post cross was controlled by Giles who then curled a superb shot into the far corner of the net.


The home side almost extended their lead at the start of the second half when Danny Carter’s downward header from a corner was well saved on the line by Tipton before Andre Calder scooped the loose ball wide.


Wulfs slowly began to build some momentum and pulled a goal back just after the hour mark when Sedgemore received the ball back from a throw-in and delivered a cross that eluded everyone and crept in at the far post.


The game was level in the 68th minute when Sedgemore’s free kick was headed home powerfully by Skedgel at the near post.


It looked as though the game was turning Wulfs’ way but it took them until the 90th minute to find a winner when Brady’s goal bound was blocked by Price and, after conferring with the linesman, the referee pointed to the spot and dismissed the Wednesfield defender for hand ball. Sedgemore made no mistake from the spot to complete a memorable comeback.


Back to Fixtures & Results