Dudley Sports 1 AFCW 3

Ten-man Wulfrunians staged an impressive comeback as three second half goals overturned the one goal deficit from the first half. The dismissal of Scott Embrey didn’t prevent Wulfs’ charge as a brace from Kyle Brady and a Dave Asbury goal gave them the win.


The game got off to a slow start; but Dudley were the first side to carve out a real opening- skipper Craig Stevens’ strike from the edge of the area was forced away well by Danny Tipton.


Wulfs worked their way back into the game and two efforts from Jake Sedgemore in a matter of seconds almost forced the lead. The first came as he cut in from the left hand side; his effort through a crowd of players was spilt by Mark Bache but eventually cleared. The second attempt caused more an opportunity- his curling free-kick cannoned off the crossbar and bounced around, before it was eventually hooked away.


Matthew Hearsey opened the scoring for Dudley in the 37th minute, he dispossessed Sedgemore in Wulfs’ half and took on two players before curling his effort past Tipton.


Embrey’s dismissal came just one minute before the interval; he became involved in an altercation with Jason Walters and Hearsey with arms being raised to faces by all involved. This resulted in Walters receiving a caution and Embrey being sent off.


The numerical disadvantage only seemed to inspire Wulfs’ players as they came out for the second half much the better side. David Howells rose brilliantly to meet Tom Griffin’s cross, only for his powerful header to fall narrowly wide.


Wulfrunians finally equalised on 68 minutes- Sedgemore’s free-kick was met by Asbury’s glancing header, wrong footing the ‘keeper and leaving him with no chance.


Three minutes later, Wulfs went into the lead. Howells’ long ball from the halfway line bounced through the Dudley defence leaving Brady with only the ‘keeper to beat. Brady made no mistake as he calmly chipped the ball over Bache from just inside the area.


With nine minutes remaining, Wulfrunians put the game beyond doubt when Brady added his second. Substitute Andy Thompson flicked the ball through for Brady, who rifled his effort to the right of the ‘keeper and saw it palmed into the net.


Both sides’ managers were sent off just three minutes from the end after a cynical foul on Thompson. Neither manager was happy and an argument ensued, the referee’s assistant stepped in to attempt to calm things down before the referee himself came over and ordered both managers to leave the field of play.


Wulrunians’ win puts them temporarily top of theleague, fellow title chasers Lye Town don’t play until Saturday and must win to leapfrog Wulfs at the top of the table.


Back to Fixtures & Results