AFCW 4 Black Country Rangers 3

Wulfs survived a late scare as they held on to defeat nine-man Black Country Rangers 4-3.   Two late Rangers goals left Wulfs with a scoreline that didn’t represent their dominance over their depleted visitors. A brace from Kyle Brady had previously helped Wulfs into a comfortable lead.


Wulfs started the game on the front foot; both Brady and Tom Piggott had efforts well saved by Jamie Wood in the Rangers goal inside 10 minutes. Rangers forced their way back into the game and Alex Hammond’s attempted cross almost looped over ‘keeper Matt Martin’s head.


Brady’s constant movement between the Rangers defenders was causing them many problems, with it being some excellent movement by Brady that allowed him to fire the home side into the lead. A great run meant that he could latch on to Nathan Rose-Laing’s pass and slide the ball past the outstretched ‘keeper’s hands.


A mistake at a Wulfs free-kick meant they nearly doubled their lead instantly. Jake Sedgemore’s delivery was deflected, leaving Wood with the job of acrobatically tipping the ball away for a corner.


Black Country’s chances of getting back into the game were dealt a blow when skipper Leigh Pardoe was sent off shortly before the half time interval for leaving the ground as he went in for a challenge.


Wulfrunians’ lead was finally doubled four minutes into the second half after some fantastic play by Piggott. After using his strength to hold off two defenders, he scooped a pass through for Rose-Laing who lifted the ball over the ‘keeper and into the net.


Rangers managed to give themselves hope of a comeback when Aaron Lloyd found Andy Price with a flick on with Price leaving Wulfs’ ‘keeper with no chance. Black Country’s hope was instantly shattered when they received a second red card- Alex Hammond being dismissed for a second bookable offence.


It went from bad to worse for Rangers when Michael Robertson extended Wulfs’ lead. His dispossession of Shane Parkes on the edge of Rangers’ box left him with the opportunity to stroke the ball underneath the ‘keeper for AFC’s third.


Five minutes later, Wulfs’ scoring for the game was completed as Brady’s mazy run took him past three players before his curling strike flew into the bottom corner.


With just three minutes remaining, Rangers added what looked like a mere consolation through Lloyd’s volley from close range. The goal looked likely to be more than a consolation when Black Country added their third of the afternoon; Parkes scrambled the ball home from a very tight angle to give them hope of a late comeback. However, Wulfrunians hung on to take the victory and extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to 11 games.