Wellington Amateurs 3 AFCW 5

A hat-trick from Andy Thompson helped AFC Wulfrunians overcome a Wellington Amateurs side that hadn’t been beaten in 8 games. Wulfs twice had to come from behind to defeat the Ams, whose goals came from Callum Pugh, Tom Lappin and Jaton Vernon.


It was Wellington who took the initiative in the early stages of the game, taking the lead after 6 minutes through Pugh. His left footed volley came from a penalty box scramble after Gavin Davies’ free kick had been deflected towards goal.


The Ams had another big chance shortly after; Vernon latched on to Pugh’s through ball but fired just past the post of Christopher Ryan, who was deputising for the ill Danny Tipton.


Wulfrunians’ equaliser came just 10 minutes later, when Tom Piggott chased down a hopeful ball behind the defence by Scott Embrey and outmuscled Sean Hennessey before striking the ball low and hard into the bottom right hand corner.


Wellington restored their lead on the half-hour mark through Lappin. Davies’ long range drive ricocheted off of Ryan before landing perfectly at Lappin’s feet and allowing him the simplest of tap ins.


Similarly, it was a tap in that allowed AFC to level the game up again. Thompson stroking home after James Skedgel’s back-heel was parried straight into his path for him to apply an easy finish. Wulfrunians nearly went ahead on the stroke of half time when some good work by Liam Wilkinson allowed Thompson to find space once again, but his effort was miskicked and rolled straight through to the ‘keeper.


Wulfs’ only halftime change came in the shape of Nathan Rose-Laing, who replaced Richard Palmer. Rose-Laing was involved instantly, his pass to Embrey on the right allowed him to float an inviting ball into the area for Thompson to flick on. His flick found the run of Michael Robertson whose left footed strike flew into the top corner past the outstretched hands of Steve Bray.


Rose-Laing was again involved as Thompson added his second goal, launching a ball over the top which was misjudged by Michael Sheridan as he headed the ball directly to Thompson whose strike flew past the ‘keeper.


Thompson’s hat-trick was completed with just six minutes remaining; his left footed effort from 20 yards coming from his own good work and run from a wide right position. His shot was hit low and across the ‘keeper, leaving him with absolutely no chance.


Wellington added a consolation with just two minutes remaining through Vernon. His close range poke came all too late for the Ams as the result had already been secured by Thompson’s attacking showcase


Back to Fixtures & Results