AFCW 1 Wednesfield 0

AFC Wulfrunians took the honours in the local derby with a 1-0 win against Wednesfield to move up to third place but they were pushed all the way by a spirited performance from the visitors.


The opening exchanges were tight with long range shots from Wednesfield’s Tom Horton and Wulfs’ Andy Thompson all the sides had to show in the opening quarter of an hour.


Wulfs then fired a warning when Andre Calder did well to halt Thompson but Nathan Rose-Laing’s follow up shot deflected into the path of Tom Piggott who brought an excellent save from keeper Sam Arnold.


Arnold was less fortunate as Wulfs took a 17th minute lead. Jake Sedgemore lifted a clever ball over the visiting defence and James Skedgel won the challenge with the goalkeeper before firing the loose ball into the empty net.


Wednesfield went close to a quick response when skipper Danny Carter headed Horton’s corner goalwards but Danny Tipton got down well to save while, at the other end, Skedgel went close to netting his second when he headed a Sedgemore corner over the bar.


Wulfs had a great chance to double their lead in the 29th minute when Tom Griffin won possession before squaring to Jordan Perks who played a great through ball to Piggott but the young striker shot over so the scores stayed level into the interval.


Wulfs started the second half well with Sedgemore firing just wide and Skedgel seeing his downward header from a corner cleared off the line by Martin Stanton.


Substitute Mike Robertson then fired just wide while Rose-Laing was halted by a great last ditch tackle by Kieron Payne when he looked certain to score. Sedgemore was next to go close when he fired over after being put through by Piggott.


Wednesfield’s stubborn resistance was almost rewarded in the 73rd minute when a Horton corner was half cleared out to Carter and his low shot through a crowded goalmouth was well saved by Danny Tipton.


Wulfs held on for a vital three points to keep up their title challenge.


Back to Fixtures & Results