AFCW 0 Lye Town 2

Two late Kalum Evitts goals helped Lye Town move top of the table after their victory over fellow title challengers AFC Wulfrunians. An intense and fiercely-fought contest ensued with neither side creating many chances for the majority of the game. This result helped Lye maintain their 100% away record in the league and was also Wulfrunians’ first league defeat since November.


The majority of the first half was contested in the centre of the field, with both sides struggling to keep hold of the ball for prolonged periods of time. The first, and arguably the best, chance of the first half fell on 28 minutes to Lye’s Ricky Anslow after Dave Asbury’s slip allowed him to be 1-on-1 with Wulfs’ goalkeeper. Yet ‘keeper Danny Tipton kept his composure to keep his team in the game by saving effectively with his feet. The action continued to flow as a mini scuffle broke out mid-play between Wulfrunians’ Jordan Perks and Lye’s Nicky Pugh. Pugh had been unhappy with the force implemented by Perks in his challenge on him and approached him in a confrontational manner, leading to the loss of tempers of players from both sides with the situation only being simmered after the referee took both captains aside to calm the game down. Lye then lost their ‘keeper, Danny Watson, to injury and he was subsequently replaced by Charles Price. As the game settled down again, Wulfrunians had their best chance of the half on the stroke of half time- Ashley Burd’s free kick was headed down by Andy Thompson into the path of James Skedgel whose shot flew just over the crossbar.


Wulfrunians made the only half time change, Tom Piggott replaced Andy Thompson, and started the half much the better side. They were unfortunate not to take the lead after Nathan Rose-Laing was unable to keep the ball under control following a majestic one-two played with Danny Crudgington. Lye owe a lot of thanks to captain Ben Jevons for their win, his solid second half showing in the face of increased pressure by Wulfrunians helped his side keep an important clean sheet. Lye’s replacement of Ricky Anslow with Chris Russell was the moment that the game was taken away from the Wulfs, Russell’s fresh pace against tired legs allowed him to have a significant role in both goals. His first involvement in the game came when his shot was rolled into an empty net by Kalum Evitts, only for the goal to be chalked off after Evitts was flagged for offside. However, within a minute Evitts opened his account for the day with a calm left footed finish after yet another good run by Russell.


As the game entered its dying embers, Lye added their second in impressive fashion to secure victory and put an end to any hopes of a late Wulfrunians comeback. AFC had thrown everything into a final attack at a corner in an attempt to snatch a draw, but it was not to be. The corner was cleared and Evitts set off on a solo run that ended with him curling the ball, left footed, over Danny Tipton’s head and into the back of the net, via a deflection off the crossbar. Lye held on until the end, securing a league double over Wulfrunians.