AFCW 4 Wellington 0

An impressive all round performance helped AFC Wulfrunians capitalise on a poor defensive display by Wellington FC to record a 4-0 victory at Castlecroft Stadium. The Wulfs headed into half time two goals to the good and a quick-fire double less than 10 minutes after the restart ensured that they got their 2nd win in 3 games.


Wulfrunians showed their attacking intent right from the first whistle, winning a corner within the first 30 seconds of the match. Prolonged periods of domination followed and Andy Thompson opened the scoring after 27 minutes with a fine near post header from Ashley Burd’s corner. AFC continued to push on after the goal, with striker Tom Piggott’s pressing of Wellington’s back four winning him a throw in deep in the opposition half. Piggott’s hard work paid off as from the resulting throw in, Dave Howells’ cross from the right was taken by the wind over the head of Wellington’s goalkeeper Craig Hill and into the back of the net via a deflection off the far post. Both players looked as shocked as each other, but while Hill was left red faced- Howells was given credit by his teammates for his fluke strike.


Wellington’s solitary first half chance only came about due to a momentary lapse in concentration from Wulfs’ centre back James Skedgel, who sold goalkeeper Danny Tipton short with a back pass that allowed Paul Jones to be seemingly through on goal before Tipton made an unconvincing recovery to get the ball away.


Wellington came out for the second half looking much livelier in attack, with their first chance coming just 6 minutes after the restart with Ben Fischer firing wide after the ball had been cut back to him by Paul Jones. Within a couple of minutes, AFC’s domination from the first half was restored with Andy Thompson nicking the ball from Will Burley before playing in Danny Crudgington who cut in from the left hand side before firing his right footed effort straight under the ‘keeper’s body and into the back of the net. Jordan Perks added another goal for AFC a mere 90 seconds later, finishing calmly from the edge of the area to add a fourth and complete a Wulfrunians rout.


Wulfs continued to threaten and almost added a fifth after Jake Sedgemore’s free kick was punched out to Dave Howells, who fired just inches over the crossbar. A couple of top quality saves by Danny Tipton in one-on-one situations were the only action that the Wulfs’ ‘keeper saw after half time.


AFC’s complete second half domination was proven by Aaron Morgan’s attempt from the edge of the area, which Tipton saved with his legs, being the only prolonged period that Wellington spent in Wulfrunians’ half throughout the course of the second half. AFC’s final chance of the game fell with 5 minutes to go, Tom Piggott couldn’t add a goal that would’ve capped off a great performance when he ran clear, Wellington’s goalkeeper Craig Hill managed to end the game on a high note with a solid hand to push the ball around the post.