AFCW 5 Cradley Town 3

AFC Wulfrunians cemented their 5th place position in the West Midlands Premier Division table after a 5-3 win against 7th placed Cradley Town.


The game was effectively won after a three goal burst in the opening 12 minutes. Wulfs went ahead in the 2nd minute when Tom Piggott was freed down the right and he produced a superb deep cross that was sliced into his own net by Cradley’s Jack Pearlman.


The lead was doubled just two minutes later when Piggott won a free kick on the left corner of the penalty area and Jake Sedgemore’s dangerous delivery was missed by everyone and nestled into the far corner of the goal.


Cradley hit back with Matt Bailey firing a shot straight at keeper Danny Tipton and Chris Russell seeing his close range effort cleared off the line by Richard Palmer before Wulfs extended their lead in the 12th minute. Ash Burd delivered a deep corner from the right and James Skedgel, arriving late, headed home powerfully at the far post.


It was nearly 4-0 in the 17th minute when another corner caused problems and Mike Robertson’s shot deflected into the path of Andy Thompson but he fired his shot against the top of the crossbar from close range.


The game finally settled down a bit and Cradley got themselves a 38th minute lifeline when Sean Williams cutting from the right before firing low into the corner of the net from the edge of the area.


Nathan Rose-Laing had a god chance to extend Wulfs’ lead just before the interval when he was picked out by Sedgemore but his first shot was blocked and his follow up effort sailed over the bar.


The second half started with two more chances for Rose-Laing, first when he was put clear by Piggott but keeper Matt Jones was out quickly to block his shot, and then when a glancing header had the keeper stretching full length to push wide.


The pressure finally told in the 52nd minute as Wulfs extended their lead when Palmer crossed in from the right and Piggott produced an excellent first time finish.


Cradley hit back a minute later as Richard Thomas-Robinson drove a 35yard screamer into the top corner of the net and it was 4-3 just five minutes later when Wulfs keeper Danny Tipton was challenged strongly by two attackers and Matt Bailey stabbed home the loose ball.


Piggott then saw his header from a corner cleared off the line before Wulfs increased their lead again in the 74th minute when Piggott played a good ball across goal for Rose-Laing to fire home and that was enough to finish off the Cradley resistance.


Back to Fixtures & Results