AFCW 2 Borrowash Victoria 3

AFC Wulfrunians slipped out of the FA Vase following a 3-2 extra-time defeat against East Midlands League side Borrowash Victoria in a thoroughly entertaining game at the Castlecroft Stadium.


It was the visitors who made all of the early running although Wulfs did have the first chance of the game when Andy Thompson fed Tom Piggott down the left and he cut past his man on the byline before being thwarted by keeper Steve Smith at the near post.


However, the sharper play from the visitors paid dividends as they opened the scoring in the 11th minute after the dangerous David Hind showed good pace down the right before cutting back for Callum Thompson to fire past the keeper.


Hind’s pace almost set up another good chance but this time the Wulfs defence got back to block.


Wulfs gradually worked their way into the game with Richard Palmer’s 25 yard shot brilliantly tipped over the bar by Smith.


Nathan Rose-Laing then fired wide at the near post after Ross Brown had nodded down not his path and Brown saw his close range bundled effort cleared off the line as Wulfs began to take control.


Wulfs’ pressure finally told in the 27th minute as Mike Robertson cut in from the left and although his first shot was blocked, his follow up effort fizzed into the net from 25 yards.


By now it was all Wulfs and they went close to taking the lead when Jordan Perks lifted Jake Sedgemore’s half cleared corner back into the area where Thompson headed the ball over the advancing keeper but on to the roof of the net.


Borrowash held out until half time and then came out much brighter at the start of the second half with Thompson firing over from a good position and Hinds denied at close range before they regained their lead in the 51st minute. The pace of Hinds again caused problems down the left and and he squared across goal for Shane Newton to control and fire in from close range.


It would have got worse for Wulfs but for an excellent full length save by Danny Tipton to deny Steve Banks from long range and then a double save at close range and a good defensive block to deny Hinds and Rob Harrison twice.


As in the first half, Wulfs gradually took control and Dave Asbury went close when his looping header was saved at full stretch by Smith before they grabbed a second equaliser in the 73rd minute. Sedgemore’s ball over the top gave Rose-Laing a run at goal and although his run was halted by a retreating defender, the ball found its way to Piggott who composed himself before firing past he keeper.


Despite plenty of enterprising play from both sides, the scores remained level at 90 minutes.


Again it was the visitors who made the brighter start in extra-time and took the lead for the third time four minutes in when substitute Jamie Pawley released Thompson and he fired past Tipton for his second goal of the game.


Again Wulfs hit back and should have levelled for a third time when Tom Ray’s shot was well saved and Rose-Laing fired the loose ball wide with the goal at his mercy.


Tom Griffin then fired over from just inside the area, Piggott volleyed an effort wide and Rose-Laing saw his header fly just just wide of the near post while, at he other end, Tipton made a superb point-blank save from Anthony Tansley but Borrowash had already done enough to progress.


Back to Fixtures & Results