Willenhall Town 2 AFCW 1

AFC Wulfrunians paid the penalty for missed chances as they slipped to 2-1 defeat away at a much improved Willenhall Town.


Wulfs were first to show when Jordan Perks ran on to Tom Griffin’s ball forward and played a first time ball across goal which just eluded a stretching Alan Wilkes, making his full debut, at the far post.


The home side’s first chance cane when Ricky Nicholls met Wayne Thomas’ free kick with a glancing header which Danny Tipton got down well to save.


Perks then had two opportunities for Wulfs, first when his shot was tipped over the bar and then when he chested the ball down before volleying just over the bar.


The vital breakthrough came for Wulfs in the 29th minute. Wilkes carried the ball into the Willenhall half before finding Mike Robertson on the left and his driven ball into the area was controlled and fired home by Perks.


Wilkes went close to doubling Wulfs’ lead on the stroke of half time but his dipping shot from the edge of the area crashed back off the crossbar.


The start of the second half saw Wulfs in total control. Wilkes picked out Tom Piggott but his deflected shot was well saved by keeper Dylan Cooknell.


Piggott then set up Robertson for a first time shot that sliced just wide and then Piggott burst through a challenge with the keeper before striking the post with his shot across goal.


Dave Asbury headed a Jake Sedgemore corner on to the roof of the net and Wilkes was denied by a fantastic last ditch block.


Piggott had a shot half blocked by the keeper and Robertson’s follow up was well saved before Ash Burd saw his volley bounce up over the bar as Wulfs continued to lay siege to the Lockmen goal.


After surviving all of these scares, Willenhall hit Wulfs with a classic sucker punch fifteen minutes from time when a quick throw on the right saw the ball fed on to Nicholls and he squared across the area for Carl Martin to fire home.


Andy Thompson was brought on and he almost restored Wulfs’ lead within seconds of his arrival when Robertson picked him out at the far post and his powerful header was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Cooknell.


It got worse still for Wulfs as Willenhall went ahead in the 80th minute when the ball was shifted in from the right to Nicholls and he fired low into the bottom corner from 25 yards out.


Wulfs threw everything at the home side for the last 10 minutes with James Skedgel sending a bicycle kick just past the post and Thompson heading just wide of the near post but Willenhall held on for their fifth successive win.


Back to Fixtures & Results