Bewdley Town 2 AFCW 3

AFC Wulfrunians continued their good run of recent form with a hard earned 3-2 win away at Bewdley Town.


Wulfs had to recover from an early set-back as the home side took a 2nd minute lead when good link up play down the right ended with a neat lay off from Chris Hough and a quality finish from Russ Godfrey.


The lead didn’t last long as Wulfs drew level just three minutes later. Andy Thompson ran on to a good ball over the top from Scott Embrey only to be scythed down in the area by Simon Rudd. Jake Sedgemore made no mistake with the resulting spot kick.


Nathan Rose-Laing then went close to putting Wulfs ahead when he ran on to Sedgemore’s clever chip over the defence but the in-form striker’s lob struck the face of the crossbar before being cleared.


Danny Crudgington was next to go close for the visitors when he was put clear by Rose-Laing but Bewdley keeper Darren Steadman stood up well to block his effort.


Bewdley then had a golden opportunity to go back in front when a long free kick into the area wasn’t dealt with allowing Godfrey a free shot at goal from the penalty spot but he blazed over.


The home side were again thankful to their keeper when he tipped Crudgington’s first time curling shot over the bar when it looked as though he was beaten.


Bewdley were then denied by the woodwork when Hough capitalised on more defensive uncertainty to fire a low deflected shot against the base of the post.


Wulfs made the most of this escape by taking the lead four minutes before the interval. Embrey exchanged passes with Jordan Perks down the right before cutting the ball back for Crudgington to fire home from 10 yards out.


The lead was very nearly extended shortly before half-time when Dave Asbury volleyed a Sedgemore corner just past the upright.


Both teams tightened up at the start of the second half but slowly Bewdley began to build some pressure with Wulfs forced into making some good blocks to keep them out but the pressure was lifted as Crudgington received lengthy treatment after taking a blow to the face.


The introduction of Tom Piggott got Wulfs going again and he came close to extending the lead when he latched on to a Crudgington through ball and fired a shot that was half saved by Steadman allowing Godfrey to get back and clear off the line.


Piggott went close again when he was set free by Perks but he dragged his left foot shot wide of the target.


The 3rd goal Wulfs craved finally came three minutes from time. Skedgel and Sedgemore exchanged a number of passes down the right flank before Skedgel fired low across goal into the far corner of the net.


If Wulfs thought the game was won, Bewdley made them sweat once more when Godfrey drove home his second of the game from the left corner of the area but Wulfs held on to take all three points.


Back to Fixtures & Results