AFCW 6 Dudley Sports 2

AFCWulfrunians eased to a 6-2 victory against Dudley Sports despite going down to 10 men when Alan Wilkes was sent off with the score at 2-2.
They also had two recover from going a goal behind with just two minutes on the clock when Craig Stevens’ free kick was glanced home by the head of Craig Tibbetts.
Wulfs immediately set about drawing level with David Howells beating keeper Sam Pearson to a through ball but the young keeper recovered to save from a narrow angle and then Tom Piggott saw his fierce shot blocked on the line by Tibbetts.
Jake Sedgemore then sent a free kick just over the bar before Sports had a great chance to increase their lead when a goalmouth scramble ended with Tibbetts firing over from close range.
Wulfs continued to press with Piggott forcing Pearson to save low down after he had been put clear by Danny Tipton’s long free kick and they finally found an equaliser in the 37th minute. Dave Asbury cleared a long ball out of defence and Piggott was first to react as he lobbed the keeper from 20 yards out.
Piggott then set up Alan Wilkes but his deflected shot struck the outside of the post so the teams went in level at the interval.
A bright start to the second half saw Mike Robertson’s deflected shot well saved by Pearson before Wulfs took the lead in the 48th minute when Piggott set up Wilkes to fire home from close range.
Sports hit back and levelled in the 56th minute when Matt Hearsey’s ball into the area was flicked on by Jason Walters and the ball ricocheted in off the shins of the unlucky Asbury.
Danny Tipton was then called into action to make a double save, first from Mark Gore and then from Tibbetts on the follow up and it got worse for Wulfs when Wilkes was red carded fir a rash tackle in the 64th minute.
To their credit, Wulfs didn’t sit back and regained the lead just two minutes later when Howells teed up Piggott and cut inside his man before firing low into the bottom corner.
A double substitution saw Nathan Rose-Laing and Jordan Perks introduced and Wulfs quickly increased their lead in the 71st minute when Howells again fed Piggott and his cross-come-shot sailed over the keeper and nestled into the top corner to complete the young striker’s hat-trick.
Sedgemore then curled a shot just wide but he wasn’t to be denied ten minutes from time when he converted from the spot after Rose-Laing had been brought down.
It was 6-2 in the 84th minute and Howells was again the provider. This time Perks nipped in around the back to head hone his pin-point cross.
In the end it was a convincing win but not without a few worrying moments.


Back to Fixtures & Results