Wellington 0 AFCW 4

AFC Wulfrunians picked up their second big win of the week against Herefordshire based opposition with a 4-0 win away at Wellington.


A fairly even start saw Jake Sedgemore force a good save from Wellington keeper Craig Hill while Wulfs keeper Danny Tipton was forced to save well from Ben Fischer’s low shot.


Wulfs began to enjoy more of the play with Dave Howells firing straight at the keeper, Sedgemore firing a free kick just over and James Skedgel skimming the top of the crossbar after getting on the end of Sedgemore’s corner.


Wellington were still dangerous on the break and went close when Aaron Morgan flashed a shot across the face of goal.


Tom Griffin then went close to netting his first Wulfs goal when he cut into the area before firing a shot wide of the far post.


Wulfs began the second half well and almost took the lead when Sedgemore’s free kick flew just wide with the keeper well beaten but they were indebted to Skedgel at the other end as made a terrific block when Pete Wood looked set to score.


Nathan Rose-Laing then had a great chance to score when Andy Thompson put him in the clear but keeper Hill spread himself well, Peter Schmeichel style, to save.


Howells then forced another good save from Hill before Wulfs finally took the lead in the 61st minute. Richard Palmer played a good through ball to Rose-Laing and he kept his cool to round the keeper and roll into the empty net.


The lead was quickly doubled four minutes later when Sedgemore’s corner was powerfully headed in at the near post by Dave Asbury.


Scott Embrey then produced a fantastic block to stop Saul Thomas pulling a goal back for the home side before Wulfs went back on the attack with Thompson’s low drive forcing a good save from the keeper.


The crucial third goal came for Wulfs in the 79th minute. Skedgel played a clever ball over the top for substitute to run on and fire past keeper Hill from just inside the penalty area.


Three quickly became four as Wulfs extended their lead six minutes from time. Sedgemore won possession in midfield and slid a good ball through to Thompson who drew out the keeper before squaring for Piggott to roll home his second goal of the game.


To their credit, Wellington kept going and went close to a consolation late on when Nick Panniers’ free kick deflected off the wall and flew just past the upright.


Back to Fixtures & Results