AFCW 6 Bewdley Town 0

AFC Wulfrunians recorded their biggest winning margin of the season against a strong Bewdley side at Castlecroft Stadium.


A great through ball by Mike Robertson picked out Andy Thompson who forced a fine save from Darren Steadman in the early exchanges.


Danny Crudgington was picked out in the box by a long ball and he did well to tee up Thompson who could only drag his shot wide of the mark.


It took until the 22nd minute for the visitors to muster a shot on goal, when Aaron Stubbins’ long ball found Chris Hough in space, but his early attempt at a lob was well off the mark.


Jake Sedgemore had a low free kick turned away before a great cross field pass by Robertson found Crudgington on the edge of the area and he managed to twist the defender only to shoot across the face and wide.


The breakthrough came just after the half hour mark when Wulfs were awarded a penalty for what appeared to be a push in the penalty area, and Sedgemore stepped up to finish with his usual ease.


A few minutes later the home side were awarded an indirect free kick in the area which saw Sedgemore drill an effort goal bound but it was well saved by Steadman.


Nathan Rose-Laing missed a glancing header from close range following an Ash Burd cross, but he made amends on 40 minutes when he converted Andy Thompson’s cut back from 6 yards.


Rose-Laing then turned provider just 3 minutes later when he did well to hold the ball up before supplying Thompson to apply a cool finish.


A second penalty was awarded to Wulfs just a minute into the second half for a foul on Rose-Laing, which saw a second yellow card for Captain Sean Wright, and Sedgemore converted his second of the night from the spot.


Bewdley hit back and Sam Watkins played a long pass to Ed Flory who flashed an effort wide of the mark, before Thompson weaved through the defence to curl the ball marginally wide at the other end on the hour mark.


Wulfs substitute Tom Piggott went close with an effort before they were awarded a third penalty for a foul on Crudgington with 15 minutes left to play. Sedgemore again drilled the ball home to complete a hat-trick of penalties.


Substitute Alan Wilkes then forced a good save from the keeper after Jordan Perks played a great ball down the touchline before Bewdley were reduced to 9 men when Sam Watkins picked up a second yellow card with 10 minutes to go.


Wulfs quickly capitalised on their 2-man advantage to add a sixth when Perks played in Wilkes to rifle home from just inside the area to complete the rout.


Dave Asbury came close to adding a seventh from a corner in injury time but Wulfs had already done more than enough by then.


Back to Fixtures & Results