AFCW 3 Tipton Town 0

AFC Wulfrunians caused a bit of a surprise as they beat Midland Alliance side Tipton Town 3-0 in front of a large crowd at the Castlecroft Stadium to progress to the second round of the FA Vase.


The hosts made a bright start and went close early on when Nathan Rose-Laing fired over after linking up well with fellow striker Andy Thompson.


Tipton hit back with Nigel Penney firing wide after Tom Tonks’ long throw had caused problems.


Wulfs were then grateful to keeper Danny Tipton for making two excellent saves, the first after Karl Edwards had been put clear and then with an instinctive block from Richard Huckfield’s close range header.


Mike Robertson then saw his 25 yard daisy-cutter go just wide for Wulfs before Tipton wasted another good opportunity when Penney capitalised on a defensive slip but fired wide with just the keeper to beat.


Wulfs slowly began to take control and went close when Jake Sedgemore’s free kick was tipped over by Jack Hayfield.


The crucial first goal came in the 34th minute and it came for the home side. Thompson fed the ball forward to Rose-Laing and continued his his run to get on to the return pass and slide the ball past the advancing keeper.


Tipton appeared shocked and Rose-Laing had a great chance to double the advantage when he fired over after good work from Robertson but they did net a second goal four minutes before the interval.


Sedgemore’s corner was only half cleared and Robertson returned the ball into the middle where Tom Ray swept home from 10 yards.


Tipton made a double substitution at half time but almost fell further behind seconds after the restart when Thompson’s speculative long range strike was brilliantly kept out by Hayfield.


After surviving that, Tipton enjoyed their first spell of real pressure with substitute Jay Chambers heading wide and Jake Foster throwing himself at a header which flew straight at the keeper.


Wulfs gave the visitors a reminder of their attacking prowess when Robertson’s deep cross was headed back across goal by Thompson but his effort dropped just past the far post.


Lewis Haycock then headed over from a good position and Tonks saw his long range shot tipped over as Tipton continued to search for a way back into the game.


After soaking up the pressure, Wulfs effectively killed off the Tipton challenge with a 3rd goal in the 73rd minute. Richard Palmer played a good ball out right to Thompson and his low ball across goal was converted at the far post by Rose-Laing.


Rose-Laing spurned a good opportunity to make it 4-0 when he fired over from close range after Jake Webb had delivered a great ball in from the right.


Danny Crudgington then saw his late shot deflect wide but Wulfs had already done enough to progress to the second round.


Back to Fixtures & Results