AFCW 0 Shawbury United 2

AFC Wulfrunians suffered their second defeat in five days as they slipped to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at home to high-flying Shawbury United.


It was the visitors who started brightest and went close to opening the scoring in the 5th minute when a deep corner headed back across goal to Stuart Ellis whose downward header was blocked on the line before being cleared.


Shawbury were in control but the home side created two great chances to take the lead. First Andy Thompson fired straight at keeper Nick Ashley after being set free by Richard Palmer and then the same player fired wide with just the keeper to beat after being released by Danny Crudgington.


After surviving these scares, Shawbury took the lead in the 21st minute. Quick thinking at a free kick on halfway released Lee Constantine down the right and he played the ball in to the middle where Ellis produced a neat turn before firing into the far corner of the net.


There was controversy 8 minutes later as Wulfs thought they had grabbed an equaliser. Thompson picked the ball up 25 yards out and drove into the penalty area before squaring across goal for Nathan Rose-Laing to tap in but the referee had already blown his whistle for a free kick to Wulfs on the edge of the area which came to nothing.


Shawbury went close to doubling their lead shortly before the interval when Robbie Millington beat keeper Danny Tipton to a ball over the top and rolled a shot goalwards but Tom Griffin got back to intercept and clear.


Wulfs improved in the second half and were almost gifted an equaliser when Rose-Laing delivered a dangerous Los ball across goal towards Crudgington but defender Harry Murphy somehow manage to divert the ball over his own crossbar for a corner.


They created another good chance in the 65th minute when Dave Asbury strode forward before playing a neat ball through to substitute Chip Southern but he shot weakly at keeper Ashley.


Rose-Laing then went close when he latched on to Crudgington’s flick on and stabbed a shot past the keeper but also past the far post.


Just as it looked as though Wulfs were going to draw level, Shawbury hit them with a superb second goal in the 71st minute. A corner from the left eventually fell to Ellis on the edge of the area and he showed his class by flicking the ball up and firing a dipping volley in off the underside of the bar.


Wulfs continued to push forward and Crudgington almost pulled a goal back late on after being put clear by Tom Piggott but his shot rolled agonisingly past the post.


Both teams were reduced to 10 men late on when Richard Palmer of Wulfs and Jake Jones of Shawbury both picked up second yellow cards but the visitors held on to a deserved victory.


Back to Fixtures & Results