Pershore Town 2 AFCW 5

A Danny Crudgington hat-trick and further goals from Liam Wilkinson and Jake Webb eased AFC Wulfrunians through to the First Round Proper of the FA Vase after a 5-2 win away at Midland Combination side Pershore Town.


In a scrappy opening it was the hosts who started the better and had a penalty appeal turned down when Zac Blood burst into the area before going down as keeper Danny Tipton slid out. Referee Chris Smith ruled he went down before the challenge had occurred.


In the 9th minute the Wulfs defence were carved open again when Dane Adlington’s through ball found Ben Hayes but his lob from a narrow angle fell wide of the target.


Slowly Wulfs worked their way into the game and created their first chance when Crudgington headed Mike Robertson’s cross just over the bar.


They went closer still in the 14th minute when Tom Ray’s powerful header from a Crudgington corner was tipped on to the bar by keeper Matt Ramage before being cleared.


A minute later Wulfs did break the deadlock when Crudgington’s surge into the area was halted illegally and he picked himself up to fire home the resulting penalty.


There was controversy four minutes later when Liam Wilkinson converted Tom Piggott’s low far post cross but the ball went through the net and neither the referee or linesman could say for sure it had gone in so no goal was given.


This incident was soon forgotten as Wulfs extended their lead in the 24th minute. Piggott did well on the right before crossing low to the near post where Crudgington’s neat flick squirmed past the keeper.


Pershore had a good chance to get back into the game when Blood capitalised on defensive uncertainty but fired wide with just the keeper to beat.


Piggott then had a chance to increase Wulfs’ lead when he outpaced the Pershore defence but dragged his shot wide of the target.


It didn’t matter as a third goal did arrive four minutes before the interval. Robertson’s driven free kick was met by the head of Wilkinson and the ball flew past keeper Ramage with the aid of a deflection.


Any thoughts that the game was over proved premature as Pershore came out fighting at the start of the second half and they went close to pulling an immediate goal back when Adlington bundled his way through and slid a shot past Danny Tipton only for Tom Griffin to track back and clear off the line when a goal looked certain.


The respite was short lived, however, as they did find the target a minute later when Hayes’ attempted cross from the right caught the wind and crept in at the near post.


There was nothing lucky about his second goal in the 73rd minute when he pounced on a through ball from Duncan Edwards to prod a shot past Danny Tipton and bring the home side right back into the game.


Wulfs responded and went close to extending their lead when substitute Jake Webb collected the ball from Andy Thompson pass and fired in a shot that was superbly tipped on to the inside of the post by Ramage before being cleared.


The same combination then linked up as Wulfs did extend their lead in the 80th minute. Webb danced to the byline before cutting the ball back to Thompson who was felled by Town skipper Quentin Townsend. Crudgington made no mistake from the spot to complete his hat-trick.


This knocked the stuffing out of the home side and Wulfs made it 5-2 near the end, shortly after Jordan Perks had seen his header tipped over the bar. Richard Palmer’s quick thinking at a free kick set Thompson free down the right and his low ball across goal was converted at close range by Webb.


Wulfs now host Midland Alliance side Tipton Town in the First Round Proper on Saturday 13th October.


Back to Fixtures & Results