Pelsall Villa 0 AFCW 4

AFC Wulfrunians breezed into the second qualifying round of the FA Vase after a comfortable 4-0 win away at Midland Combination side Pelsall Villa.


In a fast start to the game, Wulfs went close to opening the scoring as early as the first minute when Jake Sedgemore’s curling ball into the area was met by a first time lob from Nathan Rose-Laing but keeper Andy Hughes just managed to scramble back and scrape the ball wide for a corner.


The home side’s first chance saw Ash Lawley send a looping header over the bar but Wulfs continued to dominate with Andy Thompson twice shooting weakly at the keeper from good positions.


The best chance to date came on the quarter hour mark when Thompson squared a low ball across goal and the late arriving Liam Wilkinson fired over at the far post.


The same player then headed straight at the keeper from close range before Wulfs finally broke the deadlock in the 31st minute when they were awarded a penalty after Thompson’s run into the area was halted by a trip. Sedgemore made no mistake from the resulting spot kick.


The lead was quickly doubled two minutes later when Danny Crudgington’s superb cross from the right was nodded in at the far post by Thompson.


Wulfs were quickest out of the blocks at the start of the second half and went close to extending their lead within seconds when Crudgington’s low curling ball into the area was met by a stretching Rose-Laing at the far post but he couldn’t get enough on it to find the target.


Keeper Hughes then foiled Rose-Laing after the ball what been squared to him by Thompson following a quick break out of defence.


Pelsall then enjoyed their first spell of superiority with Craig Stevens going close with a first time lob that fell just wide of the far post and Danny Tipton was forced to make an excellent save from Stuart Tapper’s shot from a narrow angle.


Their mini revival was halted, however, as Wulfs extended their lead in the 66th minute. Sedgemore found Crudgington on the left and he cut inside his marker before firing home from a near impossible angle.


Seven minutes later it was 4-0 when Ashley Burd’s cross was headed home by an unmarked Rose-Laing.


Substitute Ryan Bright was then foiled by an fantastic block by Jim Lewis and Tom Piggott was denied by an excellent save by Hughes but Wulfs had already done enough to progress.


Back to Fixtures & Results