Black Country Rangers 0 AFC Wulfrunians 1

AFC Wulfrunians picked up a hard earned 1-0 win away at one of the title favourites Black Country Rangers.


Danny Crudgington’s 37th minute lob proved to be the match winner in a very closely contested game.


A cautious opening to the game saw Jordan Perks fire Wulfs’ first effort just over the bar while Alec Roberts fired a shot well wide for the hosts.


Gradually the game began to open up and Wulfs went close when Nathan Rose-Laing beat keeper Richard Kennedy to a ball out near the side line 25 yards out but his speculative effort went wide if the target.


Ashley Burd was next to try his luck with a fierce shot from the edge of the area that Kennedy pushed out just out of reach of the onrushing Danny Crudgington.


Jake Sedgemore then forced the keeper into a scrambling save before Rangers began to show their attacking threat. First Steve Bowes neatly collected a ball over the top and lobbed a shot goalwards but keeper Danny Tipton was just able to get back in time to claw away from under his crossbar.


Next up some good movement from the two forwards allowed Liam Hughes a clear run at goal but Tipton denied him with an excellent block.


Hughes then went close again when he pounced on to a fortunate ricochet and stabbed the ball past the keeper but wide of the target.


In between those chances Rose-Laing pressured Jamie Hurdman into making a mistake before lobbing the ball goalwards but Leigh Pardoe got back to clear.


The opening goal finally arrived in the 37th minute and it fell to the visitors. Burd played a good ball over the top to meet an excellent diagonal run from Crudgington and he produced a sublime lobbed finish with his left foot.


Rangers looked to hit back early at the start of the second half and went close when Paul Oakley attacked a low ball in from Bowes but his first time effort flew wide of the upright.


Bowes then fired a first time shot wide of the near post after latching on to a Blake Thompson through ball but their chances were very limited with the Wulfs defensive unit operating very well.


In fact it was Wulfs who went closest to scoring again with Crudgington again breaking the back line to meet David Howells’ but this time he curled his shot wide of the target.


With the Wulfs defence coping well, Rangers were restricted to one more effort in injury time when substitute Mat Innis struck a stinging shot that Danny Tipton pushed over the bar.


In the end it was a great 3 points for Wulfs against a side who will definitely be up their at the end of the season.


It was also a great effort from the defence who became the first team to prevent Rangers from scoring in a game for at least a couple of years.


Back to Fixtures & Results