Wulfs continue good form

AFC Wulfrunians 2 Whitchurch Alport 0
Midland Premier League Premier Division
Saturday 22nd January 2022
AFC Wulfrunians chalked a fantastic 2-0 victory over in-form Whitchurch Alport at the Castlecroft Stadium. First half goals from Tom Ray and Dom Dell ensured a seventh straight home win.
Wulfs got off to the perfect start, going ahead with just six minutes on the clock. James Hill’s corner from the left was headed clear to the edge of the area to Ty Knight. He dragged a shot goalwards which fell to the feet of Tom Ray who gleefully fired home from close range.
It got better still for a Wulfs as they doubled their lead halfway through the first half. Hill’s dead ball specially was again the inspiration. His free kick was headed back across goal by Ray and Dell controlled and fired home from the edge of the six yard box.
The closest that the visitors came in the first half came when Alex Hughes struck a free kick that went just over the crossbar.
Ray had a chance to net his second, again for a set piece, but his header was too close to the keeper who got down well to save.
Half time: AFC Wulfrunians 2 Whitchurch Alport 0
The second half saw the visitors come out much stronger but were met by a strong defensive effort as Wulfs refused to give up their lead. Joe Minshall put a header wide from Ivan Urvantev’s corner just five minutes in and Dylan Bath put in a decent cross which was half cleared which Daniel Skelton fired over six minutes later.
On the hour the Alport fans were celebrating when Dylan found the net but those celebrations were cut short when the flag was raised for offside.
With 20 minutes to play Joe Minshall headed goalwards but the gloves of Hayward somehow prevented a nervy ending to the game for the hosts.
It might have also left the home side’s supporters sweating had Hughes hit the target after finding space at the back stick.
It was a strong finish from the visitors but the Wulfs defence stood up to everything that was thrown at them and thoroughly deserved their win.
Final score: AFC Wulfrunians 2 Whitchurch Alport 0