Wulfs and Warwick share the points

AFC Wulfrunians 3-3 Racing Club Warwick 

Midland Football League Premier 

Saturday 9th October 2021


Wulfrunians came from behind on three separate occasions as they made sure Racing Club Warwick weren’t able to leave Castlecroft with all three points in what was a thoroughly entertaining fixture on Saturday afternoon. The Racers took the lead twice in the first period through Miracle Okafor and Romario Martin, who also got a second early on after the interval, however Wulfrunians levelled immediately after each through Aaron Bishop, Mat Johnson and Dominic Dell.


Racing Club Warwick got the best possible start as they took the lead just 20 seconds in to the game. A long through ball caught the hosts out leaving Miracle Okafor through on goal to slide a good finish past Tom Haywood.


Despite the setback, Wulfrunians seemed keen to get back on level terms as they applied pressure on the Warwick defence soon after, Jack Till having the first chance but his shot fired straight at the keeper from inside the box. Shortly after this however AFC did get the equaliser through Aaron Bishop who ended a slightly lean spell in front of goal after flying out of the blocks at the beginning of the campaign. Till’s cross was bundled into Jamie Meddows who’s effort fortunately found Bishop at the far post who was presented with a simple chance and he duly converted from six yards, Wulfs level after 15 minutes.


Both sides then had very good chances to take the lead shortly after, firstly for Ben Hendrick who smashed over at the back post following a good set piece from the visitors. Mat Johnson then missed a golden opportunity for wulfs at the other end, skying his effort from 12 yards after a good ball from Bishop. The contest was very fast and flowing well, with chances coming at ease.


Just moments after the last chance Warwick went up the other end took the lead for the second time. A long ball was played over the top of the Wulfs defence which forward Romario Martin capitalised on and poked it passed an onrushing Haywood who couldn’t make up enough ground. There was large suspicion offside between the Wulfrunian defence but it was not given and the Racers went in front.


The contest continued to entertain as just minutes later AFC equalised once again, this time just two minutes after the previous strike. Mat Johnson had clearly put the earlier miss out of his mind as he struck a bouncing half volley from outside the area which seemed to confuse the away keeper and bounced over his outstretched hand to nestle in the far corner.


The rest of the first period was filled with chances that were close to being converted. Notably Okafor for Warwick who struck well to see his effort just fly over the target before Dom Dell had his first chance of the afternoon with an effort that was well saved by the Racers keeper. Half time came and neither side could complain about the scoreline with it being very evenly matched in the first period.


Half Time – AFC Wulfrunians 2-2 Racing Club Warwick


The second half began fairly slowly until one piece of pure quality injected some life into the contest. Warwick were awarded a free kick 25 yards out from goal and Romario Martin got his second of the afternoon by perfectly curling an effort in off the post leaving keeper Haywood with no chance.


It was a brilliant piece of quality but typically with this game, the Wulfs came straight back at the Racers and replied in perfect fashion with another goal containing outstanding quality. Substitute Panasue Madamba made a fantastic impact onto the game with his pace and skill in wide areas, and it was him who picked up the ball on the right hand side before playing a superb cross field ball into Dom Dell just outside the area. Dell controlled well before smashing the ball past the keeper and into the top corner, making it 3-3 and once again showing the team’s resilience to come from behind for the third time.


In the final half an hour players did seem to tire and unsurprisingly the quality in the game faded slightly, with chances coming at more of a premium. All the chances that were being created were falling the way of Wulfrunians however, with Meddows and Madamba both going close following great solo runs. Tom Poole had a great chance to grab the winner in the 88th minute as he was found around the penalty spot, however his effort was fantastically kept out by the visiting keeper, who protected his team’s point well in the final stages.


Full Time – AFC Wulfrunians 3-3 Racing Club Warwick

In all it was a fantastic contest between two teams who looked to play good football and create chances. This resulted in a very entertaining encounter and one that would’ve been very harsh on either side had they been on the losing end of it and took nothing from the game. The result leaves AFC tenth with 14 points from 10 matches at the start of the campaign.


Words – Tom Bird