Good point on the road at Highgate

Highgate United 1-1 AFC Wulfrunians

Midland Football League Premier

Saturday 2nd October 2021


AFC Wulfrunians came from behind to secure a good point on the road away at Highgate United.


An even opening to the game saw the home side go close with Jack Storer forcing Tom Haywood into a full length save from a 25 yard free kick.


Wulfs hit back, Reuben Mackay broke down right, cut back on to his left foot and crossed cross in to the middle where Eshan Greer laid off to debutant Pete Taylor whose shot from the edge of the area curled just wide.


Connor Doyle then shot wide for the home side and Storer turned well in the box before firing straight at Haywood.


At the other end James Hill played a free kick from the halfway into a great channel but Greer couldn’t make a positive contact when in a good position.


Highgate had another good chance with a break out from defence. Brian Smikle found acres of space on the right hand side and picked out Ryan Booth who laid the ball back to Starer whose shot was pushed over by Haywood.


The end to end action continued with Tom Poole winning possession and feeding Reuben Mackay but he shot at the keeper from a narrow angle.


Storer was Highgate’s main attacking threat and he missed the chance of the half shortly before half time when he came in at the far post and sidestepped the keeper before firing wide of an open goal.


Half time – Highgate United 0 AFC Wulfrunians 0


The second half started as the first had ended with Storer forcing another save from Hayward from a free kick.


Wulfs went close when Aaron Bishop cut the ball back to Poole. His shot was blocked and Dom Dell followed up with a volley that was smothered well by the home keeper.


The deadlock was finally broken in the 61st minute and it fell to the home side. A quick break out from defence ended with Lewis Archer slotting low past the keeper.


The lead was nearly doubled shortly after when Archer dummied a ball forward to put Booth in the clear. He squared across goal back to Archer who had a shot saved and Doyle’s follow up was blocked by Ash Jackson.


Brad Maslen-Jones then played a long diagonal ball to Archer who ran on and hit a low shot that was tipped wide by Haywood.


Substitute Connor Mooney then went close after cutting in from the left and hitting a low shot that forced another good save from the Wulfs keeper.


After soaking up the pressure, Wulfs hit back and forced an equaliser in the 77th minute. Bishop crossed low from the left, Poole laid the ball back to Hill who fired home with the aid of a slight deflection.


Wulfs pushed for a late winner but had to settle for a well earned point.


Final score – Highgate United 1 AFC Wulfrunians 1