Dismal result for Wulfs in Shifnal

Shifnal Town 7-0 AFC Wulfrunians

Midland Football League Premier

Tuesday 7th September 2021


It was a night to forget as we travelled to Shifnal Town looking to record our third straight win. Instead our hosts ran riot, scoring seven against an eventual nine men as Jack Till and goalkeeper Tom Haywood were dismissed.


The Wulfs were actually the better side for much of the opening exchanges, having lots of opportunities from set pieces and crosses. The score remained goalless until around the half hour mark, when Shifnal’s Tom Hill was allowed to turn inside the area before slotting the ball into the bottom corner, a clinical finish from the striker.


The equaliser almost came shortly after, as Aaron Bishop was found in behind the Shifnal defence, only for his strong effort to be well blocked by the home keeper. Just after this however, Shifnal compounded the pain of the missed chance by doubling their lead. Harry Cunningham pounced on a defensive error before striking a powerful shot that crashed against the post, luckily for Shifnal, the rebound fell straight to Jay Holdcroft who finished well. The 2-0 scoreline was very harsh on AFC who had played reasonably well up until that point.


The flashpoint of the game then came on the stroke of half time, with Wulfs’ winger Jack Till sent off for an off the ball incident on the halfway line. This lead to a 20 man melee near the dugouts, several players were booked and it left the game with some edge to it as the players went into the break.


Half Time – Shifnal Town 2-0 AFC Wulfrunians


Any hopes of a miraculous second half fightback were squashed immediately after the restart as former Wulfs man Jake Webb skipped through the defence to make it 3-0, game over. The extra man really showed during the entire second period, Shifnal dominating the ball and playing around a tiring Wulfs team.


The constant home pressure continued, with the fourth goal coming on the hour mark from Tom Hill who grabbed his second of the night. He was played in down the left and finished expertly into the top corner past Haywood.


Town made it five soon after, Keiron Northwood bundling home a cross which was poorly dealt with by the defence. The lack of possession was really showing in terms of AFC’s energy levels, it was a night to forget in all.


A bright spark came in the 71st minute as Tom Haywood managed to save a Tom Hill penalty, preventing him from getting his hat trick. Shifnal brought on Kyle Montagne on for the last quarter of an hour following his return from Market Drayton and he made sure his return was worthwhile, grabbing Shifnal’s sixth as he bundled the ball into the net. Wulfs keeper Haywood was then sent off following words with the referee due to him wanting the goal disallowed, Knight was therefore forced the go in goal for the remaining five minutes as we played with nine men.


Keanu Cooper rounded off the scoring in injury time by firing an effort from the edge of the area, making it 7-0 to Shifnal.


Full Time – Shifnal Town 7-0 AFC Wulfrunians


A night to forget in all for the Wulfs, who now have a break before their next game at home to Stourport on the 18th September. Hopefully the boys can bounce back and carry on some of the positive momentum we had coming into this one.


Words – Tom Bird