Wulfs progress in WSC





AFC Wulfrunians travelled to Sutton Coldfield Town FC for the Walsall Senior Cup 2nd round tie. Sutton Coldfield are in the Northern Premier South East League which is currently headed by Leek Town who AFC played earlier in the season in the FA Cup and were unlucky to lose 1-0, so the tie promised to be a competitive affair.


The first fifteen minutes was an even contest and Sutton Coldfield had the first opportunity of the evening following a foul conceded by Jack Rowley on the edge of the AFC box, the resultant free kick came to nothing with the AFC defensive wall doing its job.


The first real chance of the night came the way of AFC when a cross in from the right was headed narrowly wide by Dominic Dell with the home side keeper beaten.


Sutton were struggling to mount any meaningful attacks and were frequently caught offside with AFC maintaining a disciplined back line.


On the half hour AFC had the best chance so far when Dell headed back across the box into the six-yard area, but the home side scrambled the ball away for a corner.


The pressure was mounting on the home side and on the stroke of half time AFC took a deserved lead. Following some harsh treatment on Jumaane Meggoe, and with the player off the field receiving treatment, James Hill delivered a perfect free kick which the impressive Dominic Dell headed home.


HALF TIME: Sutton Coldfield Town 0 AFC Wulfrunians 1


The second half saw AFC resume on the front foot and on fifty minutes Jumaane Meggoe was again on the receiving end of some rough treatment. From the resultant free kick James Hill drove the ball fiercely into the top corner giving Sutton keeper James Harrison no chance to give the visitors a two-goal advantage.


Sutton Coldfield were clearly not going to take losing to lower league opposition tying down and responded with a great goal. Top scorer Reece Leek, on as a substitute, finished well from distance.


As Sutton strove for an equaliser, they were leaving gaps at the back and AFC introduced Aaron Bishop from the bench who immediately went close on two occasions, forcing the home side keeper to turn a long-range effort over the bar.


As the match entered the nervy final minutes, it was AFC who looked the more likely to score and saw the tie out to progress to the quarter finals where they will play away at Rushall Olympic from the Southern Premier League.


FULL TIME: Sutton Coldfield Town 1 AFC Wulfrunians 2