Wulfs slip to derby defeat

AFC Wulfrunians made the short trip across Wolverhampton to Willenhall to face Sporting Khalsa at the Aspray Arena.
AFC were missing several first team regulars and were fielding a very youthful looking squad against the team many think will go on to win the league this season.
On a cold brisk afternoon, the match kicked off on the 4G surface with AFC having the best of the early exchanges and the Khalsa backline looking vulnerable to AFC playing on the break.
Following one of these breakaways Aaron Bishop, surging into the Khalsa box drove narrowly over and James Hill also went close.
AFC forced several corners and again Bishop went close for the visitors.
Wulfrunians were made to pay for their failure to capitalise on their early chances when on twenty-one minutes Mensan Kinch finished inside the six-yard box following a cross in from the Khalsa right.
Ten minutes later Khalsa doubled their lead when another cross in from the right was headed home at the back post by James McGrady.
On forty minutes Khalsa repeated the same move and McGrady scored his second and Khalsa`s third despite the best efforts of Tom Turner in goal for AFC.
The visitors reached half time without conceding any more and were left reflecting on those early chances that were not converted.
HALF TIME: Sporting Khalsa 3 AFC WUlfrunians 0
As in the first half, AFC started on the front foot and forced three early corners but were unable to force the Khalsa keeper Sam Arnold into any serious action.
The game settled into a midfield stalemate with Khalsa happy to defend their sizeable lead and AFC unable to break down the well marshalled Khalsa backline.
However, AFC debutant Joel Owusu, on as substitute, had other ideas and he scored with a stunning strike from the edge of the Khalsa box.
AFC spurred on by their late goal, finished on the front foot and created several half chances in the last ten minutes but were unable to make any of them count.
A far better second half performance by AFC, credit to Khalsa for taking their chances and credit to both teams for playing the game the right way.
FINAL SCORE: Sporting Khalsa 3 AFC Wulfrunians 1