Wulfs edge to win over Haughmond

Haughmond made the trip along the M54 from Shrewsbury to face a buoyant AFC side, fresh from two victories with no goals conceded.
Once again, the CKW Stadium pitch looked immaculate. All around the region games are being called off at this level and it is proof of our groundsman’s skills that we continue to have an excellent playing surface.
The game started in bright sunshine and the early AFC play matching the weather.
Early on Jake Evans made a run from deep and looked odds on to score but Sam Jones, the Haughmond keeper, pulled off a good save.
This opportunity proved to be a rarity and although Wulfrunians were in charge with their neat midfield possession they were unable to fashion any clear cut chances.
On forty minutes Haughmond had the ball in the AFC net following a corner but it was ruled out for a foul on the keeper Dan Whitehouse. The Haughmond side felt hard done to but it was probably the correct decision.
HALF TIME: AFC Wulfrunians 0 Haughmond 0
The second half started with AFC in control but with Haughmond looking dangerous on the break and the AFC keeper had to be on his toes the save a long range shot from Carl Rogers.
As in the first half Haughmond felt that they were on the wrong end of referee Dickens’ decisions and they began to let their frustrations show.
Midway through the half AFC should have took the lead but the Haughmond keeper had other ideas, firstly tipping over an attempt from Dominic Dell and then saving a penalty from James Hill, the follow up shot was blazed over an empty goal by Liam Riley-Stewart from inside the six-yard box.
Haughmond continued to dispute the officials` decisions and referee Dickens having had enough sent Haughmond number five to the sin bin.
AFC continued to press and were rightly awarded a second penalty following a foul on Khenan Barrett. Jake Evans confidently converted the spot kick.
The lead, although slim, proved to be enough as the entire Haughmond team concentrated on disputing decisions rather than playing football.
Their skipper became the second player to visit the sin bin and soon after their manager received his marching orders.
AFC Wulfrunians maintained their composure and managed the game out well, finishing worthy winners and move into December in the top half of the table, with three consecutive victories and clean sheets.
FINAL SCORE: AFC Wulfrunians 1 Haughmond 0