Gresley grab last gasp winner





Gresley made the long trip to The CKW Stadium in Castlecroft to face an AFC Wulfrunians side fresh from a midweek victory over Wednesfield. Gresley have had a difficult start to the season having yet to win.


AFC fielded two debutants for this season, Jake Evans on loan from Stourbridge Town, who is no stranger to The CKW, having had an impressive loan spell last season, and in goal Tom Turner, a local keeper with a higher league pedigree.


Gresley made a determined start and certainly did not look like a side without a win. Following a spell of Gresley pressure, on eleven minutes, number nine Danny Jones hooked a shot into the AFC net following a corner.


It didn’t take long for AFC to respond and five minutes later, following a long diagonal ball out of defence to the AFC left, Mat Johnson found debutant Evans who hit a scorcher past the Gresley keeper who had no chance.


Gresley still looked dangerous and Tom Turner had to be on his toes to turn over a rising drive from Adam Skeldon for Gresley.


The game was becoming end to end and the Gresley keeper made an impressive reaction save to deny Khenan Barrett.


By the half hour mark AFC had taken control and following a surge into the box by James Hill a penalty was awarded which the AFC number eleven converted himself and the home side preserved their lead to the interval.


HALF TIME: AFC Wulfrunians 2 Gresley 1


The second half struggled to get going and there was a long delay following an injury to Danny Jones.


Gresley won a foul on the edge of the AFC box and Adam Skeldon stepped up to score direct from the free kick.


The Gresley equaliser brought an immediate reaction from the home team with their midfield moving the ball about well to create several excellent scoring opportunities. The Gresley keeper was in outstanding form and made a special save from Chris Knight and an even better reaction stop to keep out Dominic Dell.


Football can be a cruel but predictable game, AFC having failed to capitalise on their long spell of pressure, were punished deep into injury time when Joe Haines scored an excellent solo winner for the visitors.


This was a tough result on the AFC Wulfrunians team who looked devastated at the final whistle. Its easy to win well but good teams show character in defeat, regroup and come back stronger.


FINAL SCORE: AFC Wulfrunians 2 Gresley 3