Wulfs edged out in 7 goal thriller





AFC Wulfrunians travelled to The Butts Park Arena to play Coventry United, playing on a new 4G artificial surface.


AFC earned a great result in midweek defeating higher level Alvechurch on their home pitch so confidence was high going in to the game.


Despite this, the first thirty minutes was all Coventry who looked the sharper and more assured side with Wulfs struggling to cope with the surface.


Coventry took the lead early on with Matty Gardner heading home unchallenged from a right wing Chris Camwell cross and Wulfs were soon further behind when Riley O`Sullivan slotted home a second for United, again following a cross from the right.


At the half hour mark it looked likely that the Wolverhampton side could be heading for a heavy defeat but to their credit the last fifteen minutes of the half belonged to them and they got back in the game. Following a foul on Jumaane Meggoe on the edge of the Coventry box, a James Hill cross was headed home at the far post by Aaron Bishop.


HALF TIME: Coventry United 2  AFC Wulfrunians 1


As is becoming customary, Wulfs looked a different side in the second half and dominated the early play.


Their dominance was rewarded with Angelo Franco curling home a shot from long range to level up the scores.


Wulfs continued to push forward with the United keeper forced into several saves and received a head injury which required attention.


Wulfs forced several corners in succession but were caught on the break with Cammell breaking away and firing in a great shot from long range to again put the home side back ahead.


Back came the visitors again with the Coventry keeper in the thick of the action, although he was able to keep out a Jumaane Meggoe shot, Aaron Bishop made no mistake with the follow up to again bring the visitors back level.


Both sides went looking for the winner with Wulfs looking the most likely, but, in the dying seconds, AFC again got caught on the break with Carey slotting home to win it for the home side.


In the end a tough result to take for Wulfs who paid the price for a poor start. They should take great heart with their response and their ability to come to terms with and adapt to the artificial surface.


FINAL SCORE: Coventry United 4 AFC Wulfrunians 3