Wulfs fall to Sphinx





AFC faced Coventry Sphinx at the CKW Stadium off the back of three straight Midland Premier Division wins.


The pitch looked excellent and all the conditions were in place for an afternoon of competitive football.


Straight from the kick off Coventry Sphinx were on the front foot and dominated the early encounters. It came as no surprise on ten minutes when, following a free kick awarded against AFC skipper Angelo Franco, Sphinx number seven Lawrence Rawlings latched on to a through ball, rounded keeper Connor Hopkins and finished neatly to put the visitors ahead.


The visitors continued to dominate and really should have gone further ahead but wasted several clear opportunities.


Midway through the half AFC carved out their first real chance when the Sphinx keeper could not hold on to a cross, the AFC forwards could not capitalise and Sphinx immediately broke away for Randane Larmond to blast over.


The game became very stretched with chances at both ends. AFC were nearly all square when Aaron Bishop beat two men on the byline and squared the ball to Chris Sterling who forced the Sphinx keeper into an excellent save.


HALF TIME: AFC Wulfrunians 0 Coventry Sphinx 1


As is becoming the norm, AFC looked a far better side in the second half and dominated much of the early play moving the ball quickly and using both flanks to stretch the play. Charles Wilson replaced Chris Sterling at the interval for AFC and was looking lively.


Sphinx could not get out of their half with AFC well in control. An equaliser looked inevitable and mid-way through the half AFC were awarded a penalty following a foul on Khenan Barrett.


There was then three minutes of high farce with the officials failing to take control and Chris Knight having to re-spot the ball for the penalty on three occasions. Inevitably, having waited so long, the penalty was poor and easily saved by the Sphinx keeper Tom Cross.


AFC kept up the pressure, but the Sphinx defence were more than a match and defended their lead to the end.


FULL TIME: AFC Wulfrunians 0 Coventry Sphinx 1