Franco downs Flyers





AFC Wulfrunians travelled to the Sports Ground, Lye to face near neighbours Lye Town.


Both teams went into the game in good spirits with Lye having defeated high-flying Sporting Khalsa last week and AFC defeating table topping Walsall Wood and Highgate United in recent weeks.


The game kicked off in warm late September sunshine with Lye on the front foot and Wulfs looking decidedly tentative.


Lye could have taken the lead early on with wide man Jordan Davies heading over following a cross from their right.


Lye continued to dominate and most of the danger was coming from their right flank.


AFC could not get a foothold in the game and were having to dig in defensively to stay in the game. Their spirit was typified by Ben Jevons receiving a nasty knock keeping out a Lye cross, number seven for Lye, Sam Tye received a yellow card for the challenge.


As half time neared, Wulfs keeper Connor Hopkins came to the rescue to thwart Lye`s Dominic Dell and Wulfs somehow reached the interval all square without having had a single opportunity in the opening forty-five minutes.


HALF TIME: Lye Town 0 AFC Wulfrunians 0


As often happens, Wulfs looked a different team after the restart, immediately winning a corner. The initial corner was partially cleared by Lye, but Wulfs retained possession and a teasing cross from the left by Matt Johnson was forced over the line by captain Angelo Franco.



AFC took control of the game for long periods, but Lye always looked threatening on the break and it could have been all square with Dell heading over from close range.


As the game entered its latter stages, Wulfs were battling to hang on to their slim advantage, but despite some nervy moments Lye were unable to create a clear opportunity and game ended with a third successive league victory for Wulfs taking them up to joint seventh in the league.


Another excellent result for the Wolverhampton team as confidence continues to grow.


FINAL SCORE: Lye Town 0 AFC Wulfrunians 1