Wulfs good run ends at Swifts





AFC Wulfrunians travelled to Walshes Meadow home of Stourport Swifts hoping to maintain their run of good form.Earlier in the season the two sides fought out a very forgettable 0 – 0 draw at the CKW Stadium.


The game started with AFC playing into a very strong head wind which proved to be their undoing on five minutes when a John Pykett long shot, helped by the wind, found the top corner off the hands of the AFC keeper Jake James. AFC found it difficult to escape from their own half and Pykett nearly doubled the lead for Stourport on fifteen minutes.


As the half-progressed AFC came more into the game and created a succession of chances, Kyle Brady going close from a free kick, Jake Webb having another free kick well saved by the Stourport keeper Dominic Richards and skipper Ben Jevons firing over after good control in the box. However, on the stroke of half time AFC were punished for not taking their chances when a Martin Slevin speculative shot from the edge of the box found its way into the AFC net.


HALF TIME: Stourport Swifts 2 AFC Wulfrunians 0


The second half started with AFC having the strong wind at their backs and they dominated the early play as they looked to get back into the game. An AFC goal looked imminent and AFC were awarded a clear penalty following a foul on Jumaane Meggoe. The resultant penalty was dispatched clinically by Jake Webb.


AFC continued to dominate, although both teams were finding it difficult to string passes together on the even surprisingly dry surface. Again, like in the first half AFC continued to be wasteful in front of goal and once again were punished when man of the match Nick Macpherson slotted home neatly following a rare Stourport attack.


From then on there was only going to be one winner with AFC chasing the game and Stourport could have easily increased their lead. A rare defeat for AFC Wulfrunians we move on to face Lye Town next Saturday.


FULL TIME: Stourport Swifts 3 AFC Wulfrunians 1