AFCW 1 Highgate United 2


A last minute winner from Marco Adaggio consigned AFC Wulfrunians to defeat after a spirited display against in-form Highgate United. This came after Tom Ray’s excellent first half strike had been cancelled out by substitute Scott Rickards.


On the back of a five match unbeaten league streak, including victories against some of the top sides, the visitors started brightly and went close early on when Corey Currithers’ shot was punched clear and George Curry mis-hit his follow up shot wide.


After working hard to stay in the game, it was Wulfs who opened the scoring in the 20th minute. Brodie Williams’ long diagonal free kick was nodded down by Ben Jevons and Tom Ray sviwelled in the area before firing low into the far corner of the net.


Highgate fought back and went close to an equaliser when Currithers squared to Adaggio but he fired over from close range.


The visitors were further hampered when talisman Lei Brown limped off injured to be replaced by Rickards and goalscorer Ray suffered the same fate for Wulfs with Jacob Barnes taking his place.


Rickards almost made an immediate impact, cutting inside from the left before firing in a low shot that John Bateman did well to push around the post while Curry saw his effort deflect wide and Scott Turner headed a corner wide as the visitors continued to push for an equaliser but Wulfs held on to their lead at the interval.


Wulfs had a great chance to extend their lead straight from the restart when a long Jevons throughball put Nicky Turton in the clear but he shot wide after outpacing his marker.


The pressure applied by the visitors finally bore dividend as Highgate equalised in the 65th minute when substitute Rickards hooked a shot over his shoulder and the ball looped over everyone and landed in the net.


Currithers then shot over and Rickards went close to grabbing his second but his was denied by a low save by Bateman.


Just when it looked as though Wulfs were going to hang on for a hard earned point, Highgate snatched a winner with just 60 seconds left on the clock when Adaggio broke clear of the Wulfs back line and rounded the keeper before rolling the ball into the empty net.


FINAL SCORE: AFC Wulfrunians 1 Highgate United 2.