Chelmsley Town 2 AFCW 4 (FA Vase)

AFC Wulfrunians made it four wins on the bounce, and in doing so earned a place in the first round proper of the FA Vase after a 4-2 victory away at MFL Division One side Chelmsley Town. Nicky Turton’s fifth goal of the season put Wulfs back on level terms after Jem Mills had fired the hosts into the lead with Brodie Williams and Matt Hearsey (2) adding to the Wulfs tally and Rob Ellis finding the net late on for Chelmsley.


Wulfs started the game brightly, moving the ball around well, and went close to an opener when Webb released Turton who in turn picked out but he shot straight at the keeper from a good position.


Against the run of play, the home side went ahead in the 16th minute when Chris Gummery found space on the right and played a low ball into the area which Jem Mills fired home first time.


 Wulfs hit back with Webb testing the keeper following a short corner before they found an equaliser in the 26th minute. Webb picked out Jordan Harrison with a good crossfield ball and his low pass across goal was converted at the far post by Turton.


Webb then stung the keeper Michael Turner’s hands with a fierce drive before Turner denied Webb again, pushing his goalbound shot on to the top of the crossbar.


The home side almost regained their lead on the stroke of half time when keeper John Bateman was forced into makin an excellent double save, first from Adam Keeley and then from Alex knight on the follow up.


A frantic three minute spell saw Wulfs miss three great chances. First an unmarked Turton headed Craig Gregg’s cross wide before the striker was denied by a good save in a one-on-one with Turner. Shortly after Callum Parker headed a Webb corner wide when he should have done better.


When it looked as though Chelmsley had soaked up the pressure, Wulfs finally found a second goal twelve minutes from time, Brodie Williams carrying the ball forward before firing an unstoppable shot into the corner of the net.


New signing Matt Hearsey came on for his Wulfs debut and didn’t take long to make a mark by adding a third goal in the 89th minute coolly lobbing the keeper after breaking the offside trap.


Chelmsley refused to give up and pulled a goal back in injury time when Rob Ellis fired home after a corner wasn’t cleared but Hearsey restored Wulfs’ two goal advantage shortly after with another cool finish after being put clean through.


FINAL SCORE: Chelmsley Town 2 AFC Wulfrunians 4.