Westfields 1 AFCW 0 (FA Cup)

AFC Wulfrunians bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup at the Preliminary Round stage after a 1-0 replay defeat at fellow Midland Football League side Westfields. Ben Miller’s 12th minute strike was enough to keep the Herefordshire side on track to emulate last season’s heroics when they progressed to the first round proper.


Wulfs started the game brightly but it was the home side who made the early breakthrough. Ben Hayes saw his shot parried by John Bateman but Miller was on hand to ram the rebound into the net.


Bateman was then called upon to prevent Westfields extending their lead darting off his line to deny Aiden Thomas’ after he had been set clear by Miller.


Wulfs’ first sight of goal came on the half hour mark when neat interplay between Jordan Harrison and Nicky Turton ended with a square pass to Joe Daley but his shot from the edge of the area flew straight at keeper Kieron Blackburn.


At the other end Bateman had to show his ability once again, somehow keeping out Chris Ham’s close range flick from Craig Jones’ low free kick.


Bateman was at it again on the stroke of half time with his best save yet. Thomas delivered a low ball in from left which deflected into the path of Jones, but he was denied superbly by the outstretched foot of Bateman.


The first half belonged to the home side but Wulfs came out firing after the interval. First Brodie Williams saw his shot blocked into the path of Kyle Brady but he shot wide from near the penalty spot.


Next Harrison sent in a low cross from right which brought an air shot from Brady before Craig Gregg hit a shot that deflected just over the bar.


Wulfs went mighty close to an equaliser 13 minutes from time when Turton burst through the middle, holding off his marker, before stabbing the ball past the keeper, only to see his effort flick off the outside of the upright.


Despite plenty of effort in the second half, Wulfs couldn’t find a way through the Westfields back line so it was the home side who progressed after two tight games.


FINAL SCORE: Westfields 1 AFC Wulfrunians 0.