Highgate United 1 AFCW 2

AFC Wulfrunians produced an excellent battling display to pick up all three points against Highgate United, their first victory against the Birmingham based side since joining the Midland Football League. A goal in either half from Nicky Turton and Brodie Williams proved enough after Isaac Jagroop had initially drawn the home side level halfway through the first half.


The home side were quickest out of the blocks with Jagroop causing problems. First he saw his shot from the edge of the area tipped over the bar and then headed just over the crossbar following a long free kick into the area.


It was therefore against the run of play when Wulfs took the lead in the 17th minute and came from their first piece of neat passing football. Some neat interplay on the right between Richard Palmer, Joe Daley and Matt Johnson ended with Palmer sliding a neat ball through for Turton to fire in off the far post.


The goal lifted Wulfs and they had a couple of chances to extend their lead. Jordan Harrison fired a first time shot from Craig Gregg’s low cross just over the angle of the goal and the Gregg himself fired just over after receiving a square pass from Palmer.


The home side got going again and levelled the scores in the 25th minute. Aaron Brown’s cross from the left was headed home by an unchallenged Jagroop.


Jagroop then had a header tipped over the bar by Bateman after another pin-point cross from Brown.


Just before the interval, Williams played a neat diagonal ball to Harrison who slipped past his man before firing a low, fierce shot straight at the keeper.


Highgate were first to show in the second half when Jagroop headed the ball on to Dale Edwards who returned a low cross into the middle which Jagroop stretched for but could only fire wide of the target.


It was Wulfs who grabbed the all-important second goal in the 62nd minute. Harrison drive at the home defence before slide a pass outside to Turton whose low ball across goal was controlled and superbly finished by Williams.


Turton went close to adding a third after receiving the ball from Williams but his fierce shot was pushed wide by the keeper.


It didn’t matter as Wulfs had already done enough to secure an excellent three points on the road.


FINAL SCORE: Highgate United 1 AFC Wulfrunians 2.