AFCW 4 Long Eaton United 3

AFC Wulfrunians picked up vital three points at home to Long Eaton United. Despite leading 2-0 at half time and 3-2 with five minutes to go, it took a late goal from Alex Woodhouse to secure the victory.


Wulfs got off to a great start when Jake Webb latched on to Matt Ellis’ ball over the top and lifted the ball over the advancing keeper from 22 yards and wheeled away celebrating as it headed in to the open net.


It got better still for Wulfs five minutes before the interval when Mitch McDonald carried the ball forward towards the left corner of the penalty area before unleashing a fierce swerving shot that arched away from the keeper and nestled into the top corner of the net.


The second half started with the visitors well on top and they pulled a goal back four minutes after the restart when a left wing corner was headed back across goal where Paolo Piniero nodded in from close range.


United continued to dominate and this led to them finding an equaliser in the 56th minute. Substitute Aaron Cole raced to the byline on the left before crossing low into the area where Tom Marshall converted with a neat near post flick.


A tinkering with the formation allowed Wulfs to get back into the game and a substitution, with Tom Ray replacing John Hill, saw them regain the lead twelve minutes from time. Alex Woodhouse swung in a deep free kick from the right which was met by a towering header from Ray that went across the keeper and in at the far post.


Any thoughts of victory were put on hold again as United found another equaliser, this time Andy Todd nodding in from close range with just five minutes left on the clock.


However, Wulfs were back in front within sixty seconds when Alex Woodhouse benefitted from a goalkeeper error. Debutant United keeper Lewis Walker tried to knock the ball past Mitch McDonald as he was being closed down but only succeeded in knocking the ball into the path of Woodhouse who rounded him before rolling into the unguarded net.


AFC Wulfrunians line up:


Back to Fixtures & Results