Westfields 0 AFCW 0

AFC Wulfrunians made the long trip to Herefordshire to take on a Westfields side fresh from their magnificent run to the first round proper of the FA Cup, and came away with a creditable point after an entertaining 0-0 draw.


The home side made the  early running with Aidan Thomas a major threat. His cut back from the byline in the 6th minute begging for someone to convert but there were no takers.


Shortly after Thomas was well found by Craig Jones but the winger shot wide from a narrow angle.


Wulfs slowly came into the game and Mitch McDonald had two good chances to open the scoring, first when he volley a Demetri Brown cross over from close range after the winger had done well along the byline, and then McDonald missed his kick from 8 yards after being picked out, again by Brown.


At the other end Thomas was again causing problems, this time squaring a ball across the area for Chris Ham to fire goalwards but, unfortunately for him, straight at the keeper.


The second half again saw Westfields taking the game to Wulfs but finding the visitors in no mood to lie down and were also dangerous on the break.


Westfields went close when Nick Harrhy hit a long range shot that had John Bateman scrambling across his goal to tip wide.


Then, from the resulting corner, Bateman was again forced into making a save, this time from a James Fereby downward header.


Wulfs had a great chance to take the lead late on when substitute Tom Grainger, making his debut, was put clear by Jordan Perks but he dragged his shot wide.


The home side then had a chance to pinch the points one minute from time. A cross from the left was headed back across goal by Phil Glover and Richard Greaves stabbed the ball goalwards watched as the ball rolled agonisingly wide of the far post so the teams had to settle for a point apiece.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Bateman, Perks, Caines, Sedgemore, Barnes, McFarlane, Brown (Minto 91), Gregg, Robinson (Grainger 44), McDonald, Ray.


Back to Fixtures & Results