St Andrew 1 AFCW 2

AFC Wulfrunians produced a battling display to make it back-to-back wins for the first time this season with a 2-1 win away at St Andrews. First half goals from Jamie King and Kyle Brady proved enough to bring the three points back to Wolverhampton.


It was the home side who started brightly with some slick passing a good movement but it was Wulfs who had the first chance of the game when King pounced on a defensive slip and homed in on goal but slid the ball wide of the target with just the keeper to beat.


Toby Warner then went close for the home side with a low 30 yard shot that skimmed the base of the post before defensive uncertainty presented Wulfs with another chance when keeper Shane Antcliffe’s attempted clearance ended up at the feet of Brady who lifted his shot over the retreating keeper but also over the bar.


St Andrews continued to play the neater football but Wulfs energy and high pressing led to them opening the scoring in the 29th minute when Jake Sedgemore forced a ball through to King and he slid the ball beneath the keeper and into the back of the net.


The lead was doubled four minutes later with a near repeat of the first goal. This time King was the provider sand Brady made no mistake when through one-on-one with the keeper.


King could’ve made in 3-0 shortly after when he intercepted a pass along the Drews back line and nipped around the keeper but his shot from a narrow angle deflected wide.


The home side clawed their way back into the game two minutes before the interval. Sam Hollis collected the ball well and turned before firing an unstoppable 30 yard shot in off the inside of the post.


Almost immediately after Shay Brennan went close to levelling with a curling shot from the corner of the area that fell just the wrong side of the post.


The second half saw St Andrews apply a lot of pressure but Wulfs worked tirelessly to restrict them to half chances. Warner saw his close range header deflect wide while Brennan’s turn and close range shot went straight into the arms of keeper Liam Stanton.


Wulfs still looked capable of adding to their lead on the odd occasions they broke away. John Hill saw his header hit the bar following s Sedgemore free kick and the follow up was somehow cleared from under his own crossbar by defender Justin Peace.


The game got scrappy and niggly the longer it went on but that suited Wulfs as they went on to secure an excellent three points.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Stanton, Gregg, Caines, Sedgemore, Hill, Barnes, Minto, Rose-Laing (McDonald 77), Brady, King (McFarlane 89), Ray.


Back to Fixtures & Results