Mickleover Sports U12’s AFCW U12’s 2

Mickleover Sports 0 AFC Wulfrunians 2
Starting Lineup: 1 James Hale, 3 Lawson Taylor, 12 Jacob Harper, 14 Eashan Brackenbridge, 5 Owen Wright-Tennant, 7 Josh Cooke, 9 Ben Moore, 11 Jordan Crump, 6 James Debney

Subs: 13 Simon Cornaby

Goals: Jordan Crump, Jacob Harper

Assists: Josh Cooke, Ben Moore

Man of The Match: Jacob Harper

AFC Wulfrunians took a trip to Derby to face league leaders Mickleover Sports in the League Cup Semi-Finals. Ian Moore’s boys knew they were facing a tough test having fallen to a 3-5 defeat earlier in the season back at Castlecroft. The sun was shining on a good looking pitch to set a beautiful scene for the big match!
The game got under way and it was AFC who registered the first notable attack five minutes in, Lawson Taylor broke down the right and crossed for Jordan Crump who stretched but failed to make contact. Mickleover looked dangerous as they attacked with pace but it was Wulfs who were coming closest to opening the scoring. Eight minutes in and Ben Moore swung in a corner from the left to find the head of Jacob Harper who headed over the bar. Harper was again involved midway through the first half, his long free kick from the back to front found Crump who headed just wide. Despite looking dangerous going forward it was sixteen minutes before Mickleover registered their first real chance but James Hale was quick off his line to smother the ball one on one! Wulfs displayed some great football as Wright-Tennant and Crump combined setting Ben Moore on his way to goal, Moore took a tumble in the area but the referee waived away any penalty appeals. Mickleover had their best chance of the half after being awarded a dubious corner but Eashan Brackenbridge was on hand to clear the ball off the line. Wulfs then went straight down the other end and opening the scoring, Josh Cooke played through Jordan Crump who looped the ball over the onrushing keeper 0-1!!! Mickleover pushed for an equalizer; again James Hale was on hand saving an strike from the edge of the box on twenty seven minutes before the first half wrapped up with the pacey Mickleover right winger crossing for the forward to head over. Half Time 0-1.
Mickleover started the second half as they ended the first pushing hard for a goal! Wulfs headed wide for a corner that good easily have found the back of their own net just two minutes in.  Mickleover had another chance soon after breaking down the right before quickly switching the ball and seeing another edge of the box strike just fizz past the post. The home side then registered another chance heading over the bar before Wulfs pulled things back their way. As in the first period Wright-Tennant and Crump linked up to feed Ben Moore who this time pulled the ball back for Josh Cooke to fire just past the post. Forty three minutes in and Ben Moore supplied from a left hand corner for Jacob Harper to rise with a bullet header from close range giving Wulfs a two goal cushion! 0-2. Mickleover didn’t lie down and soon came close again shaving the post with another strike. With fifteen minutes to go Wulfs showed a real level of maturity to apply themselves to see the game out and deservedly earn their spot in the Cup Final!