AFCW U12’s 3 Solihull U12’s 2

Starting Lineup: 1 James Hale, 2 Sol Shahar, 12 Jacob Harper, 4 Marcus Dias, 7 Josh Cooke, 5 Owen Wright-Tennant, 9 Ben Moore, 10 Joe Thorneycroft, 11 Jordan Crump


Subs: 3 Lawson Taylor, 6 James Debney, 8 Simon Cornaby, 14 Eashan Brackenbridge


Goals: Sol Shahar (2), Joe Thorneycroft


Assists: Ben Moore, Josh Cooke, Jordan Crump


Man Of The Match: Sol Shahar


Twenty one goals for and none against in the first two opening league games provided a fabulous start for AFC Wulfrunians, but today they welcomed Solihull to Castlecroft who would provide the lads there toughest test so far.


Wulfs came out the blocks quick and grabbed an early lead with Ben Moore crossing from the right hand side to find Joe Thorneycroft at the far post who side footed the ball underneath the Solihull keeper 1-0. The score line was no reflection on the game though as it was a tough footballing battle out on the field with Solihull the better of the two sides. Wulfs were being tested as Solihull pushed and kept the game played in Wulfs half eventually creating themselves a good opportunity with ball over the top that saw the number nine through on goal. Jacob Harper put the Solihull striker under pressure causing him the blaze his shot over the bar, however a freekick was awarded on the edge of the penalty area as Harper was ajudged to have used excessive force as the Solihull whet down striker after the shot was taken place. It was an excellent free kick strike that beat the wall and found the top corner of the net despite an unlucky James Hales effort to claw it away, 1-1. If Wulfs had a kryptonite it was certainly that ball over the top as again there were caught out with an identical long ball down field which Solihull took advantage of and gave them a 1-2 half time lead.


Wulfruninas needed to step up their game in the second half if they were going to get anything from the match and that’s exactly what happened as they took the second period to Solihull. After much pressure, Josh Cooke setup Sol Shahar to make it 2-2 before the move of the game saw Cornaby play out to Debney on the left hand side who played in Crump behind the back line, the ball was almost out of play but Crump recovered well and crossed dangerously for on the onrushing Shahar who finished with an excellent technique 3-2. Solihull looked dangerous throughout on the break and had enough attacks the create more goals but Wulfs defended well, in truth Wulfs could have had more themselves as they dragged several efforts wide and also brought the Solihull keeper into action more than once. A great game of two halves, final score 3-2.