AFCW 2 Continental Star 0

A goal at the start of each half earned AFC Wulfrunians a 2-0 win at home to Continental Star. Jake Sedgemore fired home a 6th minute penalty and Jamie King added a second two minutes into the second half to earn Wulfs all three points from a game they controlled but never quite put away.


The first goal came when King’s burst into the area was halted illegally by Trayvon Powell and Sedgemore calmly stroked home the resulting penalty.


Wulfs thought they might get a second penalty shortly after when Andy Thompson appeared to be felled in the area but this time the referee thought otherwise.


Star’s first sight of goal came in the 14th minute when Muhammed Ndow burst through a couple of challenges before firing against the outside of the post from a narrow angle.


King then had two good chances to extend Wulfs’ lead in the build up to half time. First he volleyed Thompson’s deep ball in across goal but just wide of the far post and then he forced a good save from keeper Ryan Cheshire after again being set up by Thompson.


The same combination linked up again at the start of the second half and this time weren’t to be denied, King volleying home Thompson’s excellent deep cross.


Star toiled hard in the second half but the only chance they had to show for their efforts came shortly before the end when Nuha Jabbi took the ball down well on his knee before spinning and firing into the side-netting.


Wulfs had a late chance to extend their lead when substitute Demetri Brown carved out an opportunity for himself by lifting the ball over his marker and showing good strength and pace to work a shooting chance which was well saved by Cheshire.


Wulfs now hope to take their good form into their JW Hunt Cup quarter final tie at home to local rivals Trysull on Tuesday night.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: J Brown, Perks, Jones, Sedgemore (Bood 65), Skedgel, Talbot, Rose-Laing, Palmer, Thompson (D Brown 77), Craner, King.


Back to Fixtures & Results