Rocester 0 AFCW 1

In a game dominated by each sides defence, a second half goal by Andy Thompson was enough to secure a win for AFC Wulfrunians as they visited Rocester.


Wulfrunians’ first chance came through Jordan Perks, but his shot from outside the area flew just over.


Great saves from both ‘keepers kept the game at 0-0 just before half-time. George Barlow’s header from a Rob Ritchie-Smith cross was excellently pushed away by Wulfs’ Jono Brown on 38 minutes.


Then, after 42 minutes, Richard Froggatt leapt acrobatically to his right to deny Craig Gregg as he tipped his powerful shot over for a corner.


Eight minutes after the break, Jamie King should have put the visitors ahead. He brought down Gregg’s cross from the right, but he could only fire his shot into the side netting.


John Hill’s bizarre effort, as he shot from just inside Rocester’s half, almost caught Froggatt off guard but it skimmed the bar on its way over.


Scott Stevenson burst into life with 17 minutes to go; as he took the ball past two players easily, only to scuff his shot and see it loop over.


Wulfrunians finally took the lead after 77 minutes, King played a great ball to Thompson behind the defence- who made a difficult angle for himself yet still managed to fire it in off the post.


Wayne Corden had Rocester’s best chance to level with 10 minutes remaining. He beat one player on the left, before cutting inside onto his right foot but his shot was tipped wide by Brown.


Thompson could have added his second with three minutes to go. He collected Perks’ cross but fired over from a much easier angle than the one he scored from earlier in the game.


This result means Wulfrunians have now gone seven games unbeaten since the start of October, and they will look to continue this run to the end of the month as host Causeway United on Tuesday night.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Brown, Perks, Talbot, Sedgemore, Hill, Jones, Haynes (Thompson 69), Rose-Laing, Gregg, Stevenson (Palmer 85), King.


Back to Fixtures & Results