AFCW 1 Kirby Muxloe 2

Mitch McDonald’s first goal for AFC Wulfrunians proved scant consolation as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at home to Kirby Muxloe.


It was the visitors who started brighter and they took a 13th minute lead when Aaron Love found space in behind the Wulfs defence and played a low ball across goal which strike-partner Danny Sheahan forced home at close range.


Kirby went close to extending their lead when Ryan Seal’s long free kick was headed goalwards by Elliott Pacey but goalkeeper Jono Brown was down smartly to save.


McDonald went closest for Wulfs in the first half as his 25 yard shot skimmed off the top of the crossbar.


Wulfs enjoyed plenty of possession at the start of the second half but were restricted to long range shots with Jordan Perks and Craig Gregg firing wide of the target while Scott Stevenson’s fierce shot slipped the keeper’s hands but struck him in the head before he grabbed at the second attempt.


After surviving this scare, Kirby broke up the other end and extended their lead in the 59th minute when Pradeep Bhatley ran on to a through ball and calmly slid the ball past the onrushing keeper.


Brown was then forced to make a good save as Bhatley again found space behind the Wulfs defence, the young keeper saving well from a narrow angle.


Wulfs pushed hard in the final fifteen minutes and Gregg should have reduced the arrears when he fired wide with just the keeper to beat after being put in the clear by some quick thinking by Stevenson at a free kick.


They did, however, grab a consolation eight minutes from time when Mike Robertson’s close range effort was blocked and McDonald followed up to fire into the roof of the net.


Gregg went close to netting a late equaliser when he met a McDonald cross with a firm header but keeper Warren Butlin turned his effort over the bar.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Brown, Jones (Davies 89) ), Talbot, Sedgemore, Sandwith, Parker, Perks (Robertson 68), Rose-Laing (Haynes 60), Gregg, Stevenson, McDonald.


Back to Fixtures & Results