Gornal Athletic 1 AFCW 2

AFC Wulfrunians prevailed in extremely challenging conditions as they battled to victory against Gornal Athletic.


Wulfrunians raced into a first half lead through Nathan Rose-Laing and Jordan Perks; before Ben Evans’ goal led to a tense final half an hour for the visitors.


The heavy rain played a huge part through the game and the poor weather led to early chances for both sides failing to materialise.


Ravi Sangha looked set to go through on goal for the hosts, but the wet surface caused his touch to take the ball through to Danny Tipton.


At the other end, Rose-Laing saw the ball slide off his foot as he bore down on goal and his effort ended up over the bar.


Perhaps Gornal’s best chance of the half fell to Richard Smith; he managed to get one-on-one with Tipton but the ‘keeper produced a fine save to deny him.


Wulfs took the lead after some impressive build-up play; David Howells beat two players before Perks threaded a ball through for Rose-Laing, who made no mistake as he fired an effort past Luke Stevens.


The lead was doubled seven minutes before the break; Richard Golding turned the ball inside to Perks, who changed from provider into finisher, as his curling effort crept into the corner of the goal.


Evans gave Gornal a way back into the game after 63 minutes, a floated free kick found its way to him at the back post and he rifled his effort into the roof of the net, leaving Tipton with no chance.


The hosts could not capitalise on the lifeline they were given, as Wulfrunians defended solidly as a unit.


The Wulfs defence survived one last scare in the final moments of the match; Matt Barnett played a fantastic ball across the face of goal but even Smith’s outstretched leg was not enough to get a touch on the ball and poke it into the net.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Tipton, Griffin, Burd, Palmer, Golding, Asbury, Perks (Lawley 87), Howells, Rose-Laing (Thompson 72), Stevenson, Robertson (A Jackson 75).


Back to Fixtures & Results