AFCW 3 Heath Hayes 1

AFC Wulfrunians recorded a routine victory in their first match of the New Year. They looked confident throughout and were helped on the way to their win by a brace from Andy Thompson and a Jake Sedgemore penalty.


Dave Waple had pulled the visitors back into the game with a goal of his own, from the spot, but Thompson’s second late on secured the victory for Wulfs.


It was Thompson who fired Wulfs into the lead after 23 minutes; Scott Stevenson played a fantastic ball behind the defence, allowing the striker to fire his effort under Adam Jenkins and into the corner.


Stevenson continued to be a thorn in the side of Heath Hayes’s defence, winning a penalty 10 minutes before the break after he was barged in the back.


Sedgemore sent Jenkins the wrong way as he rolled his spot kick into the bottom corner to give Wulfrunians a commanding half-time lead.


There was a chance for Wulfs to increase this lead even further when Jordan Perks threaded Stevenson in behind the defence. His chipped effort, however, beat the ‘keeper but fell just wide of the post.


Waple looked to have started a comeback for the visitors, when he converted from the spot after he’d been brought down by Tom Griffin, but Wulfs managed to restrict them to very few efforts at Danny Tipton’s goal.


The hosts could have added two goals in two minutes as they bounced back from conceding. First, Mike Robertson’s effort from range rattled the crossbar after he’d cut in from the left.


Thompson then had a great chance when he rose to meet Sedgemore’s cross. However, Jenkins pulled off a fantastic save to keep the header from close range out.


Substitute Nathan Rose-Laing forced Jenkins into a fine save in the final minutes after some excellent, flowing football from Wulfs. He played a series of one-twos with his teammates before seeing his curling effort from just outside the area turned around the post.


Thompson gave Wulfrunians confirmation of their win when he headed in a corner at the near post to secure an impressive result against a Heath Hayes outfit who had beaten Wulfs previously this season.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Tipton, Sedgemore, Griffin, Palmer, Golding, Skedgel, Perks (Webb 74), Lawley (Rose-Laing 78), Thompson, Stevenson, Robertson (Howells 81).


Match photos can be viewed HERE


Back to Fixtures & Results