AFCW 1 Highgate United 3

A brace from Highgate United’s Lei Brown condemned AFC Wulfrunians to an unfortunate defeat. Former Aston Villa favourite Lee Hendrie added Highgate’s other goal, with Jordan Perks scoring in reply for Wulfs.


It was Hendrie, making his debut for the visitors, who put them in front after seven minutes. He struck a powerful volley as the ball bounced around in the box and it found its way into the bottom corner with the help of a deflection.


Scott Stevenson could have levelled for the hosts midway through the first half, Brad Lawley held off a defender to lay the ball off to him; however his curling effort was excellently tipped over the bar by Christopher Jay.


Wulfs were level just three minutes before the interval, Jake Webb cut in from the left-hand side but saw his effort palmed away; Craig Gregg was quickest to react and put a cross in which Perks volleyed in from close range.


Hendrie almost regained the lead for Highgate just one minute into the second half, his dipping volley from long-range left Danny Tipton with no chance but cannoned back off the crossbar.


Shane Benjamin then had a chance to put the visitors in front; he rounded Tipton but saw his shot blocked on the line by Wulfs’ Tom Griffin.


Brown finally put Highgate in the lead after 60 minutes, his powerful header from a corner was almost hooked off the line by Griffin again but just managed to roll over the line.


Brown had the chance to increase his side’s lead when he stole the ball deep in Wulfs’ half, only for his curling effort to graze the post as it fell wide.


Michael Robertson had Wulfrunians’ best chance to equalise; his driving effort from the edge of the area flew just wide of the post.


Brown and Hendrie linked up to confirm the result in the final minute of the game, Hendrie took advantage of Wulfs’ lack of defensive numbers as they pushed for a goal to put Brown in the clear. He ran through and put the result beyond by sliding the ball under Tipton’s body.


Back to Fixtures & Results