AFCW 5 Gornal Athletic 2 – B’ham Senior Cup

Braces from Nathan Rose-Laing and Michael Robertson helped AFC Wulfrunians progress to the next round of the Birmingham Senior Cup at the expense of Gornal Athletic. Tom Piggott got Wulfs’ other goal while Gornal’s strikes both came from Ravi Sangha.


Gornal took the lead following a quick break shortly after Rose-Laing failed to convert Jake Webb’s cross. Adrian Hylton ran through on the left-hand side before crossing for Sangha to fire in from close range.


An outrageous goal levelled the game for Wulfs, there was a scramble in the Gornal area, Oliver Bashford’s attempted clearance struck Robertson in the face and skidded through the ‘keeper’s legs for his first of the night.


Within three minutes Wulfs had taken the lead. Ryan Taylor punched a corner out to Richard Palmer on the edge of the area; his effort on goal was turned in- with a back heel- by Rose-Laing from close range.


It took just four second half minutes for Gornal to equalise; Hylton sprinted clear of the Wulfs defence before winning a dubious penalty as Danny Tipton came out to smother the ball. Sangha took the penalty and saw it saved by Tipton- diving down low to his right- only for him to convert the rebound.


Rose-Laing added his second of the game to restore Wulfs’ lead. Craig Gregg worked well with Jordan Perks to turn past two defenders before laying in Rose-Laing, who fired his shot into the net from the edge of the area.


Gregg had the chance to add a goal of his own four minutes later, Webb’s cross found him unmarked but after a good turn in the six-yard box he could only curl his shot wide.


Substitute Matt Barnett had the chance to draw Gornal level, he used his pace to get in behind Wulfs’ defence but a fantastic double save from Tipton denied him from making an instant impact.


Robertson added his second of the night to double Wulfrunians’ lead, he climbed above a crowd of defenders to powerfully head home Webb’s floated cross.


Piggott completed a comprehensive victory for Wulfs with 15 minutes remaining. Dave Asbury cleared from a corner and this bounced over two defenders before reaching Piggott, who then broke clear with a sharp burst of pace before firing his powerful effort past the ‘keeper.


AFC Wulfrunians line up: Tipton, Perks (Craner 82), Howells, Palmer, Sedgemore, Asbury, Webb, Rose-Laing (Wilkinson 61), Gregg (Thompson 72), Piggott, Robertson.


Back to Fixtures & Results