AFCW 4 Stourport Swifts 1 – FA Cup

AFC Wulfrunians booked their place in the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup after a thoroughly entertaining 4-1 extra-time win against fellow Midland Alliance side Stourport Swifts.


The first half was a very open affair, the complete opposite of Saturday’s game, with Wulfs having some good early opportunities, first when Jake Webb fired over from five yards out and then when Dave Asbury’s hooked shot from a Jake Sedgemore free kick had Swifts keeper Haydn Whitcombe at full stretch to save.


The visitors were having the better of the possession and eventually created chances of their own, the best of which saw Kevin Spencer head James Blake’s left wing corner against the crossbar from close range.


Swifts hit the woodwork once again shortly before the interval when John Griffin got in behind the defence but his shot was pushed on to the post by Danny Tipton and Tom Griffin got back to clear just ahead of the striker.


The game changed in the 50th minute when Swifts full back Jamie Hyde was sent off for hauling down Craig Gregg as he was about to bear down on goal but to their credit they stepped up a gear and had a goal disallowed when Spencer forced the ball home from close range only to be adjudged offside.


The ten-men were rewarded when they took the lead in the 62nd minute when Griffin laid a ball back to substitute Calvin Dinsley and he fired home an unstoppable shot from 25 yards.


Griffin could have put Swifts two ahead when he burst clear of the defence but his shot, under pressure from the backtracking Nathan Jackson, rolled just wide.


This proved crucial as Wulfs found an equaliser eleven minutes from time when a neat build up saw the ball laid off to Scott Stevenson and he netted a sublime chip from just inside the area.


Wulfs were again indebted to keeper Danny Tipton who somehow pushed a Griffin header against the inside of the post so the game moved in to extra time.


One minute into extra time Wulfs were handed the lead in fortunate circumstances as Jordan Jones tried to head a ball back to his keeper but only succeeded in finding the back of his own net.


This goal knocked the stuffing out of Swifts and Wulfs went on to add two more goals, first when Gregg volleyed home Webb’s low cross at the near post and then when Nathan Rose-Laing nodded home from close range after being superbly picked out by Gregg.


In the end it was a good win for Wulfs and they now host local rivals Walsall Wood at the Castlecroft Stadium a week in Saturday.


Back to Fixtures & Results