AFCW 1 Walsall Wood 1 – FA Cup

A late equaliser from Walsall Wood’s Jack Stone meant that these two sides will have to meet again on Tuesday night to decide who progresses to the Second Qualifying Round of The FA Cup. Wulfrunians had earlier taken the lead through an outrageous back heel by the impressive Dave Asbury.


Wulfs could have been behind in the early stages, had it not been for ‘keeper Danny Tipton, who kept the game scoreless with a string of fine saves. The first of these came after just nine minutes, Corey Corruthers’ cross fell to Lewis Taylor-Boyce on the penalty spot but Tipton got enough on the shot to force it onto the crossbar.


It was Tipton who again prevented Wood from taking the lead when he first tipped Ahmet Bilgimer’s attempted chip over the bar before palming the same player’s effort away for a corner.


In the last action of the first half, Bilgimer took advantage of a mistake in the Wulfrunians defence to break through on goal, however his weak attempt was easily saved by Tipton.


Wulfs’ first shot of the game came after three minutes of the second half, Tom Piggott threaded through Craig Gregg- who saw his shot pushed over by the ‘keeper.


It was from the resulting corner that Wulfs took the lead, Brad Lawley headed Scott Stevenson’s delivery across the face of goal before Dave Asbury’s extraordinary back heel found its way through a crowd of players and into the top corner.


Walsall Wood had an excellent chance to level the game just nine minutes later, Harris had two shots saved by Tipton in a scramble before seeing his third effort cleared off the line by Nathan Rose-Laing.


Piggott had Wulfrunians’ only chance to double their lead on 61 minutes after a wonderful bit of skill by Gregg but his strike was tame and the ‘keeper gathered it easily.


The visitors’ finally found an equaliser that they merited after their first half performance with three minutes remaining. Stone rose to head Gonzales’ corner into the top corner of Tipton’s goal, leaving Wulfs’ ’keeper with no chance.


This result means that the two sides will have to do it all again on Tuesday night at Walsall Wood’s Oak Park Stadium in an attempt to keep their FA Cup dreams alive.


Back to Fixtures & Results